Prefix + AutoNumber as Item Code (1 Viewer)

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:24
First let apologize... First the Holidays and then I got sick and all that in between my *day job*. So sorry, I didn't reply in a timely fashion... That said, do you still need this?

Hi, no need to apologize. It took me a long while to figure things out but I finally made it work. It's just that, I'm not exactly confident with the whole thing. I didn't quite understand the entirety of the codes especially with handling errors. I just did what I could minimally do and hoped that it would work. HAHA. I still get lots of errors in implementation.

I already have my audit tables and they work fine with minor errors. My concern now is this: how do I present the data to the end user?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:24
So you are working on Reports then? Well, remember you need to make the underlining Query or Table somewhat display the results you want before you can get them to show on the Report.

As for the errors, well, if you say what they are perhaps I can help.

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
So you are working on Reports then? Well, remember you need to make the underlining Query or Table somewhat display the results you want before you can get them to show on the Report.

As for the errors, well, if you say what they are perhaps I can help.

Hi Gina!

1. So about the reports...

I've already got my audit table. I just followed Allen Browne's instructions (http://allenbrowne.com/appaudit.html) so my table would basically look like the one on the site. It's really hard to explain my problem but I'll try my best to get it across the table.

I have an audit table: t_Employee_audit which tracks changes made in the data. Now it tracks the changes one at a time and does not relate the changes to other fields. For example:

- Employee X changed his job position from Assistant to Officer thus also changing his Contract Start Date and Contract End Date.
- With my current database, if I change the data, Access creates two new records on my audit table. The first holds the change made for the job position, and the second is the contract start/end dates.

Question: How do I summarize the changes in the report so that it will only show that Employee X has changed position relative to the start/end dates?

I hope I'm making sense. -_-

2. Errors...

My biggest woe now is on my sorting and filtering on my continuous form. Details are in another thred: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=274656

Please let me know what you think. I'm really down to the final touches and I've been given a deadline this month which is crazy. :(

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Please see my HR database so far...

View attachment X.zip

The following are things I still need to look over:

1. This error: notes 1.jpg
  2. Program crashes for some unknown reason
  3. Filter asks for parameter value
  4. Presenting the audit table on a report

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Posted a solution to Filter problem here...
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=274656

As for the other problems, to save me some time here, please tell me what Form or report I need to go to and what I should do to reproduce the error. Remember, this is my spare time and if I have to waste it finding the problem I may not (probably won't) have time to investigate what/why the problem occurs. So, please, help me out... :D

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Posted a solution to Filter problem here...
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=274656

As for the other problems, to save me some time here, please tell me what Form or report I need to go to and what I should do to reproduce the error. Remember, this is my spare time and if I have to waste it finding the problem I may not (probably won't) have time to investigate what/why the problem occurs. So, please, help me out... :D

Hi! I sort of forgot how the errors popped up. I will update as soon as I figure it out. HAHA! Anyway, I'd like to ask you about something else that I've posted. Perhaps you haven't seen it. Anyways I'll repost it here:

I've already got my audit table. I just followed Allen Browne's instructions (http://allenbrowne.com/appaudit.html) so my table would basically look like the one on the site. It's really hard to explain my problem but I'll try my best to get it across the table.

I have an audit table: t_Employee_audit which tracks changes made in the data. Now it tracks the changes one at a time and does not relate the changes to other fields. For example:

- Employee X changed his job position from Assistant to Officer thus also changing his Contract Start Date and Contract End Date.
- With my current database, if I change the data, Access creates two new records on my audit table. The first holds the change made for the job position, and the second is the contract start/end dates.

Question: How do I summarize the changes in the report so that it will only show that Employee X has changed position relative to the start/end dates?

I hope I'm making sense. -_-

You can see the audit tables in my sample database. There's exactly three totally (technically) unrelated audit tables that I cannot figure how to connect so I can summarize them in reports per employee. How on earth do I do that? :(

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
I have another problem. The audit table on t_Department works, but t_DSPN and t_Employee don't quite work as I expect them to. I've managed to figure out the problem with t_DSPN. I couldn't make the audit table work because it has a multi-value field. As for t_Employee, it didn't work because of an attachment field (for ID picture of employee). I tried to delete the multi-value and attachment fields and the audit table worked. However, I really need those fields in my database as they are very integral parts of it. Is there any other way? :(

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Not that I know of since I don't work with either of those Data Types. I only work with Data Types that can be upsized to an SQL Server and those two can't. That said, for the Image why can't you store the path to the picture and then you could use...

Code:
Me.imgLogo.Picture = DLookup() here

I have no advice for the Multivalue field. :(

johannaellamay

Registered User.
Local time
Not that I know of since I don't work with either of those Data Types. I only work with Data Types that can be upsized to an SQL Server and those two can't. That said, for the Image why can't you store the path to the picture and then you could use...

Code:
Me.imgLogo.Picture = DLookup() here

I have no advice for the Multivalue field. :(

That just leaves me no choice. :( I guess I'll just make do with what is there.

About the picture, do you think it would be logical to create another table with the following fields:
PictureID | EmployeeID | Picture (attachment)

I really don't want to give up the picture. But I will also try your advice. :)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, you could do it that way also but again, not ever using that field, all I can say is try and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom