Prevent copying of database (1 Viewer)

FrankC

Local time
Today, 14:33
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how I might prevent a database from being copied. I have an application that I have set up with a number a tools to prevent exporting to an empty Access container, and from accessing the database design via the ShiftBypass feature, but the database can still be copied in its entirety. In some situations I would like to be able to add a feature to prevent this. Any suggestions?
FrankC

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:33
Search this forum for topics such as "Expiring a Database" or "Copy Protection." In general, you cannot stop a database from being copied. So what you do instead is allow it to be copied but don't let it run without some further action that is machine-specific.

ariansman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:33
what kind of machine specific things can we make?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
make it a accde/mde

put code in to validate installation

you can check various attributes of the machine - serial numbers etc, and generate an authorised license code - not easy though.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Here is one thing that I read recently but not tried. Obviously there is the split front and back. Now I always put in a regkey check on install so when the db opens, it checks it exists. If it doesn't then its a copy and closes but I had posted about disguising. I change a be be to a .dll and rename it to get days out by I was told, I think by pat, that you could silly name it as .exe and connect the same way as you would a be. If it looks like something else, its less likely to be copied

N

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

George J

Registered User.
Local time
I had recently been wondering about how to protect the contents of my database (unfinished), but pretty much gave up on it. I need to allow exporting of reports to word and excel, so they could just do a report on everything and get the data that way.

petko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:33
Could somebody help how to read out from a VB a unic machine-specific parameter? (like machine serial number, mac address or something similar)

thanks

Peter

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Peter

Have you googled 'vb to get hard drive serial number'?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom