Print history (1 Viewer)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:28
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
2,141
Is there a way to see the print history of an PC.
I'm pretty sure that I printed a certain document , let's say one hour ago, but can't trace if it has indeed been printed on the default printer.
Would there be any history file indicating what document, at what date/time been printed on any printer in the network.
 

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
661
There are a few ways:

1) Check your event log in event viewer (Control panel > admin tools > computer management > event viewer > system) and look for an event ID of 10. This will show document [x], owned by [y] was printed on [printer] through port [number]. Size in bytes: [size]. Pages printed: [number]. more info here

2) Check the printer itself it should contain a log of all jobs it has done (though might be a bit more laborious)

3) If you are running a print server a log should be available there (via event viewer) or if the server has the print management snap-in installed this may give you a log, more info here. Sorry not too up to speed on server specifics I'm afraid.
 

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:28
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
2,141
Thanks for the reponse Minkey

Minkey said:
1) Check your event log in event viewer (Control panel > admin tools > computer management > event viewer > system) and look for an event ID of 10.

I have tried that but can't find any ID 10.

Minkey said:
2) Check the printer itself it should contain a log of all jobs it has done (though might be a bit more laborious)

How would I do that ?

Minkey said:
3) If you are running a print server a log should be available there (via event viewer) or if the server has the print management snap-in installed this may give you a log

Can't find any snap in.

Since I'm not an administrator, acces is denied to some of the event viewer rights. Could that have an impact on limiting the number of events I can see in the comp management>event viewer ?


Cheers, Ron
 

Srijunair

New member
Local time
Today, 05:28
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
1
In Windows 7 the Print history is disabled by default. However you can enable it to capture all the future prints.

Follow the steps to enable the log.

1. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer.

2. In the EventViewer go to Application and Services>Microsoft>Windows>PrintService>Operational

3. Right click Operational and click Enable Log.

Once enabled you can view all the events related to Print here. More Specifically the Event ID 307 would show you the document which was printed.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom