Problem with MySQL varbinary fields (1 Viewer)

PeterWieland

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:41
I am trying to connect to a remote MySQL database. This is a database that is linked to an eCommerce solution on my website, and as such cannot be changed.

When I link via ODBC (Oracle v5.03.04.00 ANSI or Unicode) and look at the tables, all the varbinary fields that should contain English text are displaying Chinese characters. Using PHP MyAdmin the fields display correctly. I have tried on Access 2016 and 2013, both x64 and x32, on 3 different PCs.

There are several threads (on here and elsewhere) that talk about problems with grouping, but that isn't the case here. All I have done is linked the tables and opened them; no queries, no forms, no code, just linked tables.

There is also a bug report on the MySQL website that has similar symptoms, but that was fixed in server v5.5.15 and my host is running 5.6

Can anyone point me in the right direction to display these fields correctly?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:41
When I link via ODBC (Oracle v5.03.04.00 ANSI or Unicode) and look at the tables, all the varbinary fields that should contain English text are displaying Chinese characters.
Are you sure you mean varbinary fields? Those should not contain text at all, but, well, binary data.

If it is actually text stored in varbinary columns, you could try to use this statement in a Pass-Through-Query (or create a view on the server):
SELECT CAST (yourVarBinaryColumn as CHAR) FROM yourTable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom