Problem with linking (2 Viewers)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
I started a thread in the sql forum but need more of you brilliant minds to look at it. My db is distributed to a number of users. It began years ago--I began by using mysql connector 5.1 to connect to MySql data. All installations are still running smoothly (with 5.1 installed) and I haven't had a problem until now. I cannot get a new user up and running. Normally, a new user just installs the mysql connector and then is able to run the program. They did that and it fails to connect. Any ideas? One suggestion has been to upgrade the odbc connector. On my own computer I can uninstall 5.1 and install 8.3 driver, but that fails because apparently the old one is still resident in the registry. When I click on the Linked Table Manager, it shows 5.1, not the currently installed 8.3. While I might be able to follow instructions to alter the registry, there's no way all the other users could/would do that. Thanks for taking a look at this.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I uninstalled 8.3, installed 8.0, updated vba to 8.0, closed the app and reopened the app and it said connection to 5.1 failed.

Local time
Today, 14:27
updated vba to 8.0
Your DSNLess connection code? What if you add a DSN by hands using %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\odbcad.exe ?
Are you using Office x86 or x64 (app bitness = connector bitness)?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I am using Microsoft365 and assume it is 64 bit. both connectors are 64 bit. Now what is crazy, is that when I installed 8.0, I hadn't uninstalled 5.1, and they are both happily residing in my installed apps list. The Access program now happily opens when 8.0 is specified in vba but the Linked Table Manager still specifies 5.1 and I can relink individual tables with 5.1. All of this is on my own computer, not the client's computer. I will have her install 8.0 in addition to 5.1 and see what happens.

My connection code:
' strDriver = {MySQL ODBC 8.0 Driver}
' strServer = www.xxxxx.com
' strDatabase = ncswga_tables
' stroption = 12345;INITSTMT=SET @@wait_timeout=28800
' strUser = xxx
' strPassword = xxx

MyConnectionString = "ODBC;Driver=" & strDriver & ";" & _
"Server=" & strserver & ";" & _
"Database=" & strdatabase & ";" & _
"OPTION=" & stroption & ";" & _
"User=" & struser & ";" & _
"Password=" & strpassword & ";"

Well, after installing 8.0, she still cannot get in. She wasn't sure how to pause her firewall, so she is going to schedule a Geek Squad visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom