Windows 11 installing and referencing mysql connector 5.1 (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
My client just bought new Windows 11 laptop. I am trying to install an Access program that uses a mysql database via ODBC 5.1. My old MySQL connector odbc 5.1.13 win 32 won't install - error 1918 says myodbc5S.dll is missing. My connection string in the OpenProg module:
MyConnectionString = "ODBC;Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};" & _
"Server=www.cardinallga.com;Database=" & "acardina_clga" & ";" & _ ...etc.

First of all, the program runs perfectly on my own laptop that was upgraded from Win10 to 11, so I know there is no problem using the 5.1 connector on Win 11. I really don't want to move to current version of the connector since other clients are running successfully on 5.1. and I would have to maintain two versions of the program. Next, with great difficulty, I installed mysql connector odbc 8.0 and tried to change MyConnectionString to reference MySQL ODBC 8.0 Driver, but it is still looking for 5.1. I cannot find another reference to the driver anywhere in the module or elsewhere in the program. I have not a clue what to try or where to look. Any help would be appreciated! This really shouldn't be this hard!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:47
Hi. Maybe you already said it, and I just missed it, but have you tried installing the ODBC driver first? How did that go?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Maybe you already said it, and I just missed it, but have you tried installing the ODBC driver first? How did that go?
Yes, I did. I get error 1918 that says myodbc5S.dll is missing. Now I am trying to figure out how to run as Admin since it isn't my computer. Don't know if that is part of the problem or not.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I did. I get error 1918 that says myodbc5S.dll is missing. Now I am trying to figure out how to run as Admin since it isn't my computer. Don't know if that is part of the problem or not.
I see. When you mentioned that earlier, it sounded like you were trying to install the Access application only. Did you download the ODBC driver from the MySQL website?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I see. When you mentioned that earlier, it sounded like you were trying to install the Access application only. Did you download the ODBC driver from the MySQL website?
I downloaded it several years ago when it was the current version, but since the Access program references it, all works correctly.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:47
Perhaps time to download the latest driver?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:47
Yes, I did. I get error 1918 that says myodbc5S.dll is missing.
This is very likely pointing to the root cause of the problem.
You probably need to install Visual C++ runtime libraries before the ODBC driver can work. Here is the download link to the VC 2013 redistributables. - I'm not sure if this is the correct version because, well, you are using a really old driver and you might need an even older VC runtime.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:47
What bitness is Access in your new Win11 pc's?

The driver bitness must match the bitness of Access.

It's quite likely the new pc's will have automatically installed 64bit Access.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps time to download the latest driver?
I had tried the latest driver along with changing the reference to the new version in the module and it was a no-go. Finally, I did install the latest connector and installer but left the Access program referencing the older version #. That worked! Apparently, the new connector doesn't care what version # the program tries to connect. Anyway, as always, I thank all of you on this website who are always willing to help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I had tried the latest driver along with changing the reference to the new version in the module and it was a no-go. Finally, I did install the latest connector and installer but left the Access program referencing the older version #. That worked! Apparently, the new connector doesn't care what version # the program tries to connect. Anyway, as always, I thank all of you on this website who are always willing to help.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom