Prompt for a Date in a query (1 Viewer)

kengooch

Local time
Today, 05:20
I was trying to do a quick query that would allow a person to be prompted for the date they wanted to see data... I tried using... "#" & [Enter Date] & "#" but it doesn't work. Can I give a user the ability to select a specific date with a quick query prompt?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
What does "didn't work" mean? Didn't you/they get a prompt?

kengooch

Local time
Yes but when you put in a date, it gives you no results. In another tool I built a few years ago I used this...
Between (IIf(IsNull([Start Date m/d/yyyy]),#1/1/1900#,[Start Date m/d/yyyy])) And (IIf(IsNull([End Date m/d/yyyy]),#12/31/2200#,[End Date m/d/yyyy]))
which works but requires you to enter the date twice, or of course a range of dates as it was originally designed to do.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes but when you put in a date, it gives you no results. In another tool I built a few years ago I used this...
Between (IIf(IsNull([Start Date m/d/yyyy]),#1/1/1900#,[Start Date m/d/yyyy])) And (IIf(IsNull([End Date m/d/yyyy]),#12/31/2200#,[End Date m/d/yyyy]))
which works but requires you to enter the date twice, or of course a range of dates as it was originally designed to do.
Can you post the complete SQL statement for your query, including the date prompt?

kengooch

Local time
This is the one that doesn't work... It always generates not results. In the query box it says
"#" & [Enter Date] & "#"
The SQL is:

SELECT qEvntComplete.tEvAccCat, qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm, qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq, qEvntComplete.tEvStDate, qEvntComplete.tAccName, qEvntComplete.tAccCat, qEvntComplete.tActX, qEvntComplete.tAccNatX, [taccnatx]-[tactx] AS cDiff
FROM qEvntComplete
WHERE (((qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm) Like "*" & [Staff Name] & "*") AND ((qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq)="#" & [Enter Date] & "#"))
ORDER BY qEvntComplete.tEvAccCat, qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm;

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This is the one that doesn't work... It always generates not results. In the query box it says
"#" & [Enter Date] & "#"
The SQL is:

SELECT qEvntComplete.tEvAccCat, qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm, qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq, qEvntComplete.tEvStDate, qEvntComplete.tAccName, qEvntComplete.tAccCat, qEvntComplete.tActX, qEvntComplete.tAccNatX, [taccnatx]-[tactx] AS cDiff
FROM qEvntComplete
WHERE (((qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm) Like "*" & [Staff Name] & "*") AND ((qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq)="#" & [Enter Date] & "#"))
Okay, assuming the following returns all records.
SQL:
FROM qEvntComplete
We could try something like this:
SQL:
FROM qEvntComplete
WHERE (((qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm) Like "'*" & [Staff Name] & "*'") AND ((qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq)="#" & Format(CDate([Enter Date]),"yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"))
Let us know what happens when you try that.

kengooch

Local time
Okay, assuming the following returns all records.
SQL:
FROM qEvntComplete
We could try something like this:
SQL:
FROM qEvntComplete
WHERE (((qEvntComplete.vStfFullNm) Like "'*" & [Staff Name] & "*'") AND ((qEvntComplete.tEvAccSeq)="#" & Format(CDate([Enter Date]),"yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"))
Let us know what happens when you try that.
Didn't work... I tried adjusting the format to m/d/yyyy and several other versions... but no luck

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:20
perhaps your tEvAccSeq field contains a time element, possibly hidden by formatting

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:20
#1 - NEVER open a query for the user to interact with. Always use a form so you can prevent accidental updates.

It may seem "simple" to do what you are asking and you certainly do it your way. But what you end up with is an accident waiting to happen.

Prompts re difficult to control. The better solution is to add a control and a button on a form. Let the user enter the date and press the button. YOU validate the date and if it is a valid date, open the form filtered to the requested date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom