Protection against copying (1 Viewer)

Ahmed.H.Qasim

Local time
Today, 05:21
Hi
I am looking for a code to protect my files from being copied.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:21
Access by itself will not help you. In essence, you CANNOT stop a file from being copied under Windows unless it is a secured version of Windows with domain-level access controls. Even then, you have limits to what you can do. At most, you could encrypt your file so that copying will do no good. But of course, an encrypted file cannot be executed by Access.

Ahmed.H.Qasim

Local time
Today, 05:21
Thank you... I want a way to protect my files from being opened or worked on without my permission.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Look articles by Isladogs regarding database security. He has published several threads. However, understand you CANNOT stop file copying if the operating system doesn't cooperate. Once you have a copy of the file outside of the secure environment, you have lost control of it and need to "harden" the file to be resistant to hacking.

Click the Search button in the menu bar. In response to the box that pops up, enter "Security" for the topic and "Isladogs" for the member name. Other members are also well-versed in this topic but he frequently has some really good articles.

Local time
Look up isladogs, he has examples of that.

I would recommend switching platforms, Access was not built with top security in mind.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:21
As the others have suggested, Access is reliant on Windows to control who has access to any given file. It is possible to lock down a database to some level but you cannot keep out a determined hacker. If you continue to use Access, your security goal needs to be to prevent accidents rather than actual hacking. If you have actual hackers in your company, you have bigger problems than we can solve here.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:21
It doesn't matter if someone has the file. You need a way to license a user to use your software, and probably have an expiry date, so that a copy of the file is both secure and not useful to an unauthorized user. It's not easy, and developers will only give you general ideas about how to achieve this. The rest is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom