Python vs VBA (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:19
I watched this video this morning - the title lured me in hook, line, and sinker. Although it was not click-bait, the presenter limited the VBA to Excel.

It was still VERY interesting because I had no idea you could incorporate a completely different language while using MS Office applications. All that being said, I simply do not see any real advantage here. The set-up is great and the results are insignificant. The juice is not worth the squeeze...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Paul Kelly has many excellent videos on vba and various structures dictionary, collections.... and often has free tutorials. I am not an Excel person, but I like his videos.

I am also not familiar with python, but don't see M$oft making any changes that would support replacing vba with python. You may also find Mike Wolfe's articles on TwinBasic of interest.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:19
The juice is not worth the squeeze...

At first like you, I thought, wow! But then I started to think the same as you, there's not much benefit. It is true that Python is becoming popular, however I note that Microsoft have been promoting JavaScript. They call it something else, but it's basically JavaScript. Office 365 CRM database uses JavaScript behind it as the programming language. Also JavaScript is a natural choice as an internet programming language. I'm not sure you could say the same for python... Although I don't know that much about python

Mike Krailo

Local time
I always wanted to learn how to incorporate python as a programing tool in Access after taking a course on it so I would be very interested in examples in an Access application. But looking at the advantages vs disadvantages of using it, I understand why some would balk at using it. Here is the summary from the video on that aspect. All clients have to have a version of python installed on their machines.

Advantages of Python over VBA:
  • Code is easier to write
  • Great for Data Analysis
  • Uses modern IDEs(Code Environment)
  • Same code works on Windows/Mac
  • Wide selection of libraries
  • Can be used for many types of applications
Disadvantages of Python over VBA:
  • Requires setting up
  • Installation can be problematic
  • Steep learning curve in the beginning
  • VBA is sufficient in many situations
  • VBA is simpler for small applications

Last edited:

D_Walla

Local time
Today, 09:19
I don't see Microsoft replacing VBA with Python, and I still haven't heard much about the so-called 'VBA Killer' - is it called OfficeJS now? For my part, the fact that OfficeJS cannot engage with the local computer is a critical problem - what I mean is that it can't go through the files and folders on my laptop, etc etc.

One huge advantage that VBA has over other programming languages is that VBA is more or less portable - the Office suite can be found on most laptops/PCs in a professional work environment, so you're pretty much good to go. I can't send code in other languages to a client, but I can with VBA.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 03:19
ahhhh, the Pandas library. so classic, but yet so useful. I've nnever used python with excel, but the video was definately interesting. thanks Gent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom