Q&A Database (1 Viewer)

jonnie_c

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:08
This may be the wrong messageboard for this. but you guys have always been helpful in the past, so here it goes. I would like to convert an old Symantec Q&A database to Access. What would be the best way to go about converting from this format. Not sure what version of Q&A the database is in, but the databse itself was designed in 1989. Your thought on this matter are much appreciated.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:08
Assuming that Q&A has some type of export facility. Export the data either to a spreadsheet or delimited file format. Then import it. The .csv file format might end up being better if the spreadsheet format that the program exports to is too old for current versions of Access or Excel to read.

jonnie_c

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:08
Thanks Pat.
As far as I can tell, Q&A has no built-in ability to export to any other format. I was however, able to find a demo of a small utility which can export the Q&A data file into comma seperated values. Only major drawback of the demo is that only 20 fields can be exported at once. *sigh* With a little bit of patience I will have all my data converted over.

Link to download this demo is:
http://www.johntdow.com/ if anyone is interested.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:08
A last ditch solution is a report. Make one with NO headers or footers. You should end up with fixed length records that you can import. You'll need to create an import spec so you can define where each field starts and how long it is. Write the report to disk rather than paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom