Query Access to Secure Database (1 Viewer)

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:58
I have a database that does not allow the users to view the "database window". The users are also locked out from using shift.

However we have a requirement for a "Query User" which would have "READ-ONLY" access to querys.

Is there a command that can open up the database window even if it is not visible on start up. So that only the query user can gain access to the database query window.

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
I would consider setting them up with a seprate db and attach back to the main db table(s). Then let them build their custom queries there.

kh

msp

Registered User.
Local time
The problem is than we would be tracking 2 database for upgrades

KenHigg

Local time
Do you want them to be able to create or modify queries?

kh

msp

Registered User.
Local time
They can create and modify queries...

KenHigg

Local time
Maybe just me, but I'd preffer the second mdb with attached tables method. As far as allowing view to the db object window based on some login criteria, I'm really not sure... Sorry - Maybe someone else has a suggestion...

kh

msp

Registered User.
Local time
However they only have read_only access to the tables

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Ken, I am looking at the posibility of having two DBs

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is never a good idea to allow users to add/modify objects in your production database. Each user that needs to create his own objects should be given an empty database with tables linked to the shared be. He can then be allowed to create his own objects in that db.

Aside from the security issues, allowing users to add/modify objects increases your risk of corruption. With A2K and newer, it also prevents the db from being opened for shared access unless you have installed SourceSafe or some other Access compatable version management tool.

Having user defined objects in your db causes severe problems when you need to update the fe. The users don't want to loose their "junk" so you have to figure out what it is and how to save it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom