Query to return text to the left of a space in string (1 Viewer)

peffw

Local time
Today, 03:09
Hi,

Has anyone got a suggestion as to how I can run an update query which populates a new field with the the text to the left of the first space in a string? I'm trying to create a first name field from data where the first and middle name are in the same field.

Thanks

GEOFF

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:09
Try the Left() function using the InStr() function to find the position of the space.

peffw

Local time
Thanks Paul. I looked up InStr on Access help (I'm not a programmer) and tried to use an example they had in a query by substituting field names as follows

Expr1:Left([forenames],(InStr(1,[forenames],"."))-1)

The query returned an error. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought you were looking for a space? That's looking for a period, and will probably error if there is none.

peffw

Local time
Sorry I was. The joys of cut and paste! I've substituted the full stop with a space and it works! Thanks for your help.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem, and welcome to the site. As illustrated by the problem you had, this will likely error if there's no space in the field. If that's a possibility, we'll have to tweak it.

Armedinstructor

Local time
Yesterday, 21:09
I am experiencing the problem you have described above about there not containing a space in some cases. Can you help?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you have hijacked an 11 year old thread with effectively a different question.

Please start a new thread with your question and provide some example data to illustrate what you have and what outcome you require

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Otherwise, we're happy you found us and we're looking forward to helping:) But we will need more information when you post your new question. Post some sample data and the expression you are using so we know what problem you are trying to solve.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am experiencing the problem you have described above about there not containing a space in some cases. Can you help?

Test for it with an IIf, along the lines of

IIf(InStr(1,[forenames], " ") = 0,"", Left([forenames],(InStr(1,[forenames]," "))-1))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom