question: can you export a report to excel with all the same formatting and colors? (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:49
I haven't tried exporting access reports to excel before but when you export it can you export it with all its formatting and colors so it looks the same?
If so how?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:49
Hi. It might get close, but not all the way (depending on your report design). By the way, you can only export reports to XLS format.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
No, and why?

If you ultimately want to print it out you can go to Rich Text (.rtf) or possibly HTML (.htm) which would better preserve the formatting but still won't be perfect. If you want to analyze the data with Excel, then formatting and coloring shouldn't be important and you should just dump the data. Also, there are .pdf plugins which will send the report to an .pdf file which retain most if not all the formatting.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:49
I don't think the export report to Excel exists or if it does, it does a poor job. When I want to export to Excel, I create an Excel template that does all the necessary formatting and then open it and fill it with data and run a formatting macro if necessary.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The problem with exporting to Excel is that using the pre-defined method, you don't have the same color palette. (At least, not automatically.) Excel uses a 64-color palette even though it is possible to use the full 24-bit (16-million) color specifications. The automatic export features probably won't use quite that variety of colors, and the formatting might be susceptible to formatting conversions. Exporting the elements via an Excel Application Object would give you absolute control over format and content but would be incredibly tedious to manage.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:49
You could try adding colour to the query containing your report data and exporting that.
However, the formatting available in queries may not be sufficient for your needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom