Question external monitors and Form Design (1 Viewer)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:07
Nearly everything I have in Access was initially made with 800 X 600. All the stuff I have and do make have forms that exactly overlap. If I want to make a new form I just copy and existing form and then remove data source, text boxes etc.

All the computers I have at the moment are Toshiba Portege and with 1920 X 1080. Running Access forms is not an issue as I have code that take cares of the forms being made in 800 X 600 and so they show as normal size on the 1920 X 1080.

However, form design is a different situation and then the form is very small.

I can buy and external monitor in the 20-22" size and 1920 X 1080. I hate reak big monitors and a 20-22" with 1920 X 1080 will be a bigger "form design" that the smaller Portege.

However, I can also buy a 20" monitor that is 1366 X 768. How would that go plugged into the Portege and its 1920 X 1080.

Actually a 15.6" laptop that is the common 1366 X 768 is OK for form design but I have just go used to these small laptops like the Porteges and so don't want to by a 15.6" 1366 X 768 and also the external monitor is far cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
Hi Mike. You lost me at the following:
However, form design is a different situation and then the form is very small.
What is your question?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
In form design and since all the forms have been made in 800 X 600 the form design view is tiny on the small Porteges and their 1920 X 1080.

Running the forms is no issue as I have code that automatically expands all the form but that coding does not work in Form Design. Of course the resolution of the expanded form is not equal to a form made in 1920 X 1080 but no real practical difference and no one has ever complained.

So I am wondering how a 21' Monitor that is listed as 1366 X768 would go plugged into the Portege as on the surface that would mean Form Design view would be large.

I know what happened with a Monitor that is as a lot more than 1366 X 768 when plugged into a 1366 X 768 laptop but this of course is the reverse where the computer has a higher resolution output.

The monitor is only a $100 and if I could just go to the shop and buy and if no good toss it out but it needs to be delivered and that is always a pain as you have to be here to receive it etc.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
In form design and since all the forms have been made in 800 X 600 the form design view is tiny on the small Porteges and their 1920 X 1080.

Running the forms is no issue as I have code that automatically expands all the form but that coding does not work in Form Design. Of course the resolution of the expanded form is not equal to a form made in 1920 X 1080 but no real practical difference and no one has ever complained.

So I am wondering how a 21' Monitor that is listed as 1366 X768 would go plugged into the Portege as on the surface that would mean Form Design view would be large.

I know what happened with a Monitor that is as a lot more than 1366 X 768 when plugged into a 1366 X 768 laptop but this of course is the reverse where the computer has a higher resolution output.

The monitor is only a $100 and if I could just go to the shop and buy and if no good toss it out but it needs to be delivered and that is always a pain as you have to be here to receive it etc.
Ah, you're talking about going into Design View. One possible workaround is to set your screen settings to 150% or 200% or maybe more, temporarily.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, you're talking about going into Design View. One possible workaround is to set your screen settings to 150% or 200% or maybe more, temporarily.

I have done that as well as drop resolution on the Portege to 1366 X 768 but it is not real good as I have always found I get eye strain when I move from the laptop's native resolution.

This was never a problem for me before but I has to go on a medication and one of the side effects is poor resolution/contrast on small print. Its not fixed by glassed as it is not a focus thing, In fact these days on very small print that might be on a label etc. I take a photo with my iPad so I can expand it up:D There is always a solution.:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have done that as well as drop resolution on the Portege to 1366 X 768 but it is not real good as I have always found I get eye strain when I move from the laptop's native resolution.

This was never a problem for me before but I has to go on a medication and one of the side effects is poor resolution/contrast on small print. Its not fixed by glassed as it is not a focus thing, In fact these days on very small print that might be on a label etc. I take a photo with my iPad so I can expand it up:D There is always a solution.:)
LOL. Okay, I guess an external monitor sounds good then. I just couldn't answer the specific question about Toshiba since I don't have one. You could either borrow an external monitor first to test it out or call the manufacturer to ask them. Good luck!

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
As I said above I have done the one where the laptop is 1366 X 768 and the monitor is much higher and that works as expected in that the monitor is limited by the computer output and so you just get a larger size and if you are eagle eyed and fussy with resolution you will notice the Monitor is not quite as sharp with the expanded image.

But I am in the dark when the computer has a higher resolution output than the monitor.

I think I will just buy it when it is convenient to get a delivery as only a $100 and the rubbish tin is close by:D

Otherwise I will have to get an HP 15.6" with 1366 X 768 or a desktop, maybe one of those "all in one things" with the computer being in the monitor.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
As I said above I have done the one where the laptop is 1366 X 768 and the monitor is much higher and that works as expected in that the monitor is limited by the computer output and so you just get a larger size and if you are eagle eyed and fussy with resolution you will notice the Monitor is not quite as sharp with the expanded image.

But I am in the dark when the computer has a higher resolution output than the monitor.

I think I will just buy it when it is convenient to get a delivery as only a $100 and the rubbish tin is close by:D

Otherwise I will have to get an HP 15.6" with 1366 X 768 or a desktop, maybe one of those "all in one things" with the computer being in the monitor.
Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I am able to connect multiple monitors to a machine capable of high resolution and yet set each monitor to display different resolutions (low and high).

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I am able to connect multiple monitor to a machine capable of high resolution and yet set each monitor to display different resolutions.

Right, so you think plugging a 21" 1366 X 768 Monitor into the Portege with 1920 X 1080 should be fine. Would you expect the 1366 X 768 Monitor plugged into the Portege to look the same as if plugged into a 1366 X 768 HP Laptop?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Right, so you think plugging a 21" 1366 X 768 Monitor into the Portege with 1920 X 1080 should be fine. Would you expect the 1366 X 768 Monitor plugged into the Portege to look the same as if plugged into a 1366 X 768 HP Laptop?
Hi. I can only tell you what I think since I don't really know it for sure. Like I said, try to borrow one first. If not, then I guess make sure it is returnable, in case it doesn't work. Good luck!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:07
Well, there is always the idea that when you are about to do form design, you could manually reset the resolution of the monitor to 800x600 and disallow Windows from doing an override on the size. Then when you want to use the monitor for something else, set it where it needs to be.

If that works, it only costs you a little bit of planning ahead of time to realize when you are about to do some design work.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I can come down to 1280 X 960 on the Toshiba Porteges but what happens is the whole screen shrinks so you have maybe a gap of an inch or so all around what you are looking at.

Basically I have done about every on the Porteges you can so and none of it is very successful. If the 20" 1366 X 768 monitor does not work then I will get a 15.6" laptop with 1366 X 768, an HP or a desktop, maybe one of those All in One jobs with the computer in the monitor.

The laptop/desktop scene has sure changed. Maybe back in 2003 or 2005, can't remember exactly but I bought a bunch of new computers and all were desktops and only one laptop. Disk access speed use to be terrible on laptops.

If you go to one of the many places in Australia selling computer gear their website will now be nearly all laptops and only a few desk top models.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:07
I always use automatic form resizing to handle different monitor sizes and resolutions. See my extended tutorial on its use http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/automatic-form-resizing-1/4594554784.
For historical reasons this means I design forms so they are based on a nominal resolution of 800*600 which are then scaled up as appropriate when in use.
As a result my form designs typically use 7pt font size for controls

However as you point out, you can't zoom the screen in design view.
Until MS get around to adding this very useful feature, I use a secondary monitor set at a lower resolution as you suggest. It works perfectly for this purpose

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I always use automatic form resizing to handle different monitor sizes and resolutions. See my extended tutorial on its use http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/automatic-form-resizing-1/4594554784.
For historical reasons this means I design forms so they are based on a nominal resolution of 800*600 which are then scaled up as appropriate when in use.
As a result my form designs typically use 7pt font size for controls

However as you point out, you can't zoom the screen in design view.
Until MS get around to adding this very useful feature, I use a secondary monitor set at a lower resolution as you suggest. It works perfectly for this purpose

Thanks for that and I order the monitor this week.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I purchased an HP 18.5" 1366 X 768 monitor. Very successful so ordered two more. They are VGA.

What I found to be best was to leave Toshiba Portege on its native resolution of 1920 X 1080 then in settings/display make the 2nd monitor the only monitor. This also stopped the Toshiba screen being on which stops a distraction.

I don't know the technicalities but it is like the screen for the Toshiba is removed and the external monitor is plugger into the Toshiba graphics.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Congratulations! Thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom