Question: Totals/Trending by category and other types (1 Viewer)

venivici

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:44
Hello!

I am currently getting back into the world of programing and access. I used to do some stuff in C++, Java, and VBA a while back(10yrs ago) and now have a project at hand I am working. My coding skills are a little rusty, but i have a high knowledge of how to do things and can work through the details. I have setup the basic forms and tables I want, and the relationships. Essentially, it will be an error tracking database to be able to trend weak spot areas. The issue I am running into is trying to get a count of errors by type, say category or carrier, or a combined item, root cause and category.

I could create a query for each category, then count it, but the category list will not be static, as I have made it so categories can be added. How do I make it so my queries are dynamic enough to account for taking into consideration adding additional items(category, root cause, carrier). I was wondering if anyone had any insight. Thanks.

(Note: I briefly read over how to ask a question and other stickies, etc, and hopefully i am asking in the appropriate manner!)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:44
Just curious why in Tbl_Issues...you have
Associate and not EmployeId
Carrier and not CarrierId
Category and not CatId
RootCause and not RootId
...?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 14:44
In your table issues just have Group by and Count to get aggregate totals in queries

venivici

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:44
In your table issues just have Group by and Count to get aggregate totals in queries

Good question. From a business level, its labelled associate as it encompasses a wide variety of employees. That was the preferred label. Employee is based upon an actual company ID given to each person, and is called Employee ID. I have thought about switching it to make it more consistent, but then the data terms don't match the business. Not a huge deal, but thats why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom