Quick and Simple Question (1 Viewer)

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
Hi Guys

I'm just about to finish the database I'm creating and as it's my first 'live' project, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. It's only a small database that will only be used by 6 people. 2 administrators who will run reports, and 4 users, who will only be able to input new data.

Here's my question - the database will be situated on a central server and users/adminstrators will connect to the database from their workstations. If User A has Form 1 open and is entering new data and then User B also wants to open Form 1 and enter data, will Access allow this to hapen? I.e. Can the same form be opened twice, without Access throwing a wobbly and displaying an error message?

Thanks

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 03:07
There will be problems if they are both entering data at the same time. I would recommend using a front end/ back end set up. That is, have the users use an interface copy off of their computer that is linked to a backend database that will store all of the data.

Hope that helps,

Vassago

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is better to split the db into fe and be and copy the fe to each workstation. Look up "split an Access database" in help for directions.

However, when a user opens an object such as a form in an Access db, it is loaded into memory on the user's PC. Therefore there is no problem with multiple people opening the same form simutaneously. Each user ends up with his own instance in his own workspace. The only potential conflict is if two users try to update the same record ad the same time. In that case, Jet reports an error to one of the users and gives them 3 options as to how to proceed. Copy their changes to the clipboard, Apply their changes over the other user's changes, Discard their changes.

Vassago

Local time
Are we playing a game here Pat? :)

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
Who's right???

Thanks for the quick replies. I know it's better to have a fe/be but as the db is only going to be used by 6 people, I didn't think it would be a problem.

Pat - The users are only going to be entering new records/data, they won't be updating any of the data that is already in the db'ase, so I presume that will be ok?

I'll have a look into splitting the database in help and may do that (if it's not too tricky)

Vassago

Local time
Who's right? I think we both said the same thing. It's not tricky to split a database and it will be best in the long run. I definitely recommend it.

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
OK Thanks Vassago

I've had a look on Access help and if I'm looking at the right thing (Database Splitter Wizzard?) it should be ok.

Thanks again for your help guys.

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, one more quick question.

I did a Microsoft VB course last year and we created a SQL database (as a backend) and the VB forms were the front end. One thing we had to do was put a bit of extra code under each cmd button i.e. to do a batch update, connection string etc. Do I need to do this with Access?

Also if I split the database and put the tables on the server and the dorms etc on each workstation do I have to input the file path anywhere?

Thanks

daveUK

Registered User.
Local time
I think I've worked it out - tell me if I'm right.

I open the database on one of the user workstations. Split the database using the wizzard, and browsing to the directory on the server where the backend will go. I then copy the front end to each users workstation.

Is this right?

GizmoT

Registered User.
Local time
Dave

forgive me for treading on any toes here, Vassago and Pat are far more adept than I.

If you split the tables form the forms, and then link the fe to the tables. Then by copying the fe to the other workstations you will accomplish what you want. (Provided that the path to the server holding the tables is the same.)

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom