Random records put into a table (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:07
Hello,

I am assigning random records for auditing to a team of people who updated the records. I have the file that shows what records everyone updated and who updated the record. I created a query (Generate_random) to assign a randomID number to each record that was updated.
SELECT FixedRecords.ien1, FixedRecords.ien2, FixedRecords.Name, Rnd([IEN1]) AS RandomID
FROM FixedRecords;

I am trying to pull random records from this query to make a table so it will automatically give me table with 10 random records that each person updated. Then I can assign 10 records to each team member to audit. There is a name Field it shows the names of people who updated the record, then there is a RandomID field. I am trying to write a query that will pull up the top 10 records for each Name. I want it to use the RandomID field to find the top 10 records. I need 10 records that were completed by each person in the name field.

Example:
Name: Sally, RandomID: 24545
Name: Sally, RandomID: 24445
Name: Sally, RandomID: 23545
"" Top 10 records with sally
Name: Mary, RandomID: 54545
Name: Mary, RandomID: 44545
"" top 10 records with Mary

Name: roger, RandomID: 14545
Name: roger, RandomID: 12545
"" Top 10 records with roger

How would I write this second query to pull this data. I was going to have it make a table because once the table is made I dont want the RandomID to keep changing anymore.
When I use this SQL code it only gives me 10 records. I want 10 records from each unique Name Field

SELECT TOP 10 Generate_random.RandomID, Generate_random.Name
FROM Generate_random
GROUP BY Generate_random.RandomID, Generate_random.Name
ORDER BY Generate_random.RandomID;

How would I rewrite this SQL to give me what I need? Thank you

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
Hi. We've had previous discussions on pulling random records here. Maybe try the related threads links below or do a search. I'll see if I find one for you.
Sent from phone...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:07
I can never figure out this issue; however, your query is not correct. That is not a Select Top N by Group query. It should look something more like
Code:
SELECT qryRand.ID, qryRand.Group
FROM qryRand
WHERE qryRand.ID In
 (Select Top 2 A.ID from qryRand as A where A.Group = qryRand.group order by rnd([id]))
ORDER BY qryRand.Group;

This query works except for the Rnd part. If you take out the rnd you will get 2 per group, with the rnd you get all kinds of results. You can hit the refresh and see a different amount of records returned.

Attachments

• TopRandom.accdb
    768 KB · Views: 293

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:07
You may get some ideas from this Random records per group.
In that case they kind of cheated since they wrote the random values to the table first. However, I wonder if this can be done in straight SQL. If not this is a good workaround.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:07
using vba to pick random record. does not need additional field.
qry_Final is your final query. as much as possible use qry_Final (datasheet form)
so that the function will reset each time you open the form.
tested on small dataset. may or maynot work on large dataset.

Attachments

• TOP 5 IN GROUP.zip
    35.9 KB · Views: 300

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:07
using vba to pick random record. does not need additional field.
qry_Final is your final query. as much as possible use qry_Final (datasheet form)
so that the function will reset each time you open the form.
tested on small dataset. may or maynot work on large dataset.
I downloaded the file you posted and tried to do what you did with the VBA code and the query, and the form but I am getting a runtime error 457. "This key is already associated with an element of this collection" I have attached screenshot of the debug error. It highlights this section of the vba code : d.Add !Name & "|" & !IEN1, lngRand
I have attached full screenshot. In my table my EIN1 is not an autonumber but it is still a long integer, just wondering if that might be causing any errors or problems. I also attached db, it only has fake data. My table name I changed to FixedData, the table has an extra field EIN2. I don't think that should cause the problem though.

Attachments

• run time error 457.zip
    699.7 KB · Views: 156
  • debug error.PNG
    debug error.PNG
    589.6 KB · Views: 283

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:07
it could have been caused by 1 "blank" name.
i exclude it from the list.

Attachments

• run time error 457.zip
    693.3 KB · Views: 298

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom