Read-only database creates errors w/ recordsources (1 Viewer)

nharrison

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
I have a small business database that is split into a front end and back end. For some reason, when the back end was accessed from different front ends, users experienced massive slowdowns. So, instead, I opted to create only one read-only front end that all users access through a shortcut on their desktops. I made the database read-only by setting the attribute in the properties window of Windows Explorer. This caused everything to run lightning fast, seemingly solving all my issues.

However now the recordsources in some of my subforms are generating errors. When I open the main form, I get the error: "The record source '[insert subform recordsource here]' specified on this form or report does not exist."

I click ok, and then the main form successfully opens, but the subform is just a blank box.

When I open the subform directly from the navigation pane, I receive the error: "Cannot update. Database or object is read-only." and the subform does not open.

When I open the the query that is the recordsource of the subform, I get the same error and results.

-------------------------

Surely someone has had this issue before, and I hope this is just a dumb mistake on my part. Any suggestions?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:17
You can't set the Access file itself to read-only. It can't be, in order for it to work properly.

nharrison

Registered User.
Local time
You can, as long as the back end isn't read only, can't you?

When you open the database in read-only mode, it has an alert bar below the action bar that says, "This database has been opened read-only. You can only change data in linked tables. To make design changes, save a copy of the database."

Since the only data I am modifying is in linked, back end tables, can't I use read-only mode?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:17
Sounds like you have some stuff that isn't just in the backend though. If you change it from Read-Only does it work correctly?

nharrison

Registered User.
Local time
Yes it does, except every single table I have is in the backend. I switch to sort objects by type, and not a single table shows up that isn't linked.

By end of day yesterday I had just given up and decided to make it a non-readonly copy, and just restrict what users had access to by modifying what appears in the navigation pane. Essentially made it really hard for people to screw something up. There are only about 3 users that will be accessing this, but they will each be on it all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom