Read-only Database (1 Viewer)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:33
Hello everyone,

I have a split db in a network environment. My FE gets copied from the network and pasted into a folder within the users C drive (the method posted by Autoeng).

This has worked great for everyone except for today when one of the users got a new pc. It worked the first time (a copy of the FE was placed into the appropriate folder) but now I can't delete it or reaname - and it's only that file (ie I can create new dbs in that folder and do what I like). Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Sean

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:33
Check the properties of the FE file to see if it's "read only."

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:33
I'll amplify that because I see something that needs just a touch more detail.

You said the person had a new PC. Then odds are that your person is running either on XP Home or XP Pro. These machines use NTFS for their file structure. You didn't say which O/S the old machines were running (and I don't need to know that), but you should know that every time Bill Gates releases a newer product, he changes the default security just a little.

So I'm guessing that your file inherited some rights differently this time because of the potential differences in a new PC that is probably still set to factory defaults as to security.

IN PARTICULAR, look at the security tab for the folder in which this file resides. See if the folder is allowing its properties to be inherited. Betcha it isn't.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:33
Thanks for the replies guys!

I've seen others suggesting to check the "Read-only" property - but I was foolishly looking in Access for it! (D-oh!)

As you both suspected, it was a read-only issue - only with the entire C drive! I believe the reason is because he switched PCs with another colleague so when he logs in, the PC thinks he's a guest.

I'm not the network guy here, so I'll need to pass it off to him - but my guess would be that he will change have to add him as "Owner".

Thanks again!

-Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom