realistic dreams (1 Viewer)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:08
This feels like a true confessions / Therapy thread.

When I was a kid my parents went out one night leaving me and my 2 older sisters home alone. They were doing handstands when one sister slipped and broke her collar bone. I can still hear the sound of the bone making a very loud cracking sound.

Some 50 years later I still get freaked out if anyone touches me in the collarbone area. In fact just writing about it is making me a little twitchy.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:08
is that what I started!?
Yes Adam, I have it on good authority that several Mods have entered therapy programs since your return.

Sent from Newbury UK

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:08
A bit of a tease, but you have to admit you opened the door on that one yourself.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
so not all dreams are necessarily bad or reflect on the unknowns in our work. I just woke up from one that was quite pleasant:

I was a foreign country resident and had been talking through the internet with an american pastor for years. I finally asked him to pay me a visit in my country and he agreed and purchased his travel plans. When he told me where he was arriving and gave me his picture so I knew who I was looking for, I immediately went to the airport terminal on the date he was scheduled to arrive and started scanning the people getting off the plane eager to introduce myself. When the last person de-boarded and I didn't see him, I started walking down the terminal searching cuz I thought I had missed him. I walked right by a guy at a ticket counter that looked like him so I turned back and saw his face and knew immediately that it was him. I just smiled at him real big and went up to him and said: "Hello Dave, thank you for coming over". He then introduced me to Nick, one of my best friends from high school, and told me that he brought him along from the USA as a reinforcement and protection just in case I wasn't legitimate or he was being led into a trap. Funny thing is....There IS a senior pastor named Dave at my church and my best friend in high school was indeed named Nick.

I kinda think that last part is relating that scenario with one I could possibly run into if the russian girl I've been talking to for months ends up coming over here and visiting me (which she has always been adamant about doing).

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

I had quite an interesting one last night. I was almost to the point of waking up and probably only *half* asleep at this point, but the dream saw me working at an employer's office on-site. I had gotten frustration beyond belief with the paranoia of management and I decided to download a p0*n video from the internet as a stress reliever. but I had to leave my desk for some reason that was not identified and I accidentally left the video playing and visible on my desktop computer. One of the supervisors walked by my desk while I was away, saw it, and I overheard her say to another worker "call his recruiter immediately. he's fired. and tell his recruiter we suggest he not work with this individual anymore". I'm sure glad *this* one will never come to pass! Freud said every dream is a wish. Well not in this case!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Modern shrinks say Freud was wrong. Not every dream is a wish. Some dreams represent fears. That one is the "fear of having neglected something" and is at least partly consistent with the "waking up naked" dream or the "running out of gas while driving in the desert" dream.

In essence, it derives from a low level, nagging feeling of insecurity.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
In essence, it derives from a low level, nagging feeling of insecurity.
are you referring to my currently employment situation or your previous comment about "unknowns" always being present in software deployments?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

It seems that these things are getting less severe, but are still strange. For instance, yesterday when Enterprise Rent-a-Car was taking me to get my vehicle for the week, I dosed off for 5 minutes and had this strange dream:

"I went to anytime fitness to work out and went into a changing room to get into my gym fatigues. But there was a bunch of clothes laying on the floor and it was apparent that someone was in there, or left their belongings there. After a couple minutes of changing clothes, there was a knock on the door. I opened it and there was Jared Lee Loughner, and he told me that he was using the room and demanded I get out. So I told him I was sorry and left. I then woke up, as at that point we were pulling into the rental office's parking lot"

Talk about *weird*!!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Dreaming of encountering a mass murderer? Bizarre. I would interpret that as fear of a hidden danger or problem. Anxiety-related and still would count as fear of the unknown.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I would interpret that as fear of a hidden danger or problem. Anxiety-related and still would count as fear of the unknown.
that's kinda why I like visiting the monastery. It has never happened while staying there.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
hey richard (@The_Doc_Man ),

I just started a new website using sql server and asp.net. and just this morning I had another dream where my situations were "inescapable". the dreams took me to many places, but the one part of it that relates to this place is that I was required to run an obstacle course in a specified timeframe and some of the obstacles were in the form of mathematical calculations that had to be done in a few short minutes. I knew that math was not my strong suit and someone told me, before I started the course, that they knew I wasn't going to make it because @moke123 and @isladogs were responsible for training me to run the course and they both hated me. and thus, I didn't stand a chance. =) LOL.

the dream also took me to many other places, but those are irrelevant and does not pertain to the AWF board members. but all in all, every place I went in the dream saw me stuck in places that were inescapable. so it seems that you are right in your assessment that dreams reflect the unknown in the programming world. thanks for your insight. =)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
thanks for your insight.

You are welcome.

Your latest dream is very simple. Your "math" reference is symbolic of training in general. You fear insurmountable obstacles in life due to your (previously admitted) self-taught status, i.e. your lack of more formal training, which leads to a sense of at least partial inferiority. We have seen you sometimes overcompensate for this by posting in a way that might be described as egotistical.

It is perfectly OK to offer help to people when you can. All of us do that. But you might notice that I either never start, or quickly back out of some discussions because I know I am not always the best authority. You might also notice I often include disclaimers. That's because I know my limitations (or at least a lot of them.) I guess I am trying to set an example for those who will notice.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You might also notice I often include disclaimers.
I will NEVER have to issue a disclaimer for any words I speak or type. and that you probably will never understand, my good friend. =) the people that know me and the people I know don't engage in that sort of nonsense. that's a consequence of your infected mind and the one that runs your life and those you interact with.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
What was your old signature line?
have no clue. educate me. why do you ask? you mean this one:
my solutions are not guaranteed to work.....etc...
???

if that's what you're talking about, that's irrelevant. that was technology based. my prev. comment was regarding another issue.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will NEVER have to issue a disclaimer for any words I speak or type. and that you probably will never understand, my good friend.
that's a consequence of your infected mind

That is your arrogance talking. My disclaimers are based on factual uncertainty at a technical level. In a sufficiently complex program, you can never be quite sure until something starts working again after fixing it or offering a possible workaround.

On our other subject, I have no uncertainty. Per previous agreement, we will have to agree to disagree and leave it where it sits. Neither of us is at all likely to change our mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom