Really New (1 Viewer)

T

TSS

This is embarassing, but I just got Access 2000. I have a data base of about 20 fields and 3,600 records. All the data was entered in ALL CAPS. I want to change it to Proper format (first letter Capped with all other text in lowercase). I can open the data base and see all my records, but that's as far as I got. I just don't see where I put a formula or how to get started performing this task that is probably so simple, I just don't see it. I opened it as a Table... Is that right? Then what?

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:10
T,

Not as straight-forward as you might think -- to do this. Here's one way.

Make a copy of your database file and open the copy.

In the Access system window, click on Queries. Double-click "Create query in Design view."

Add your table by double-clicking its name as it appears in the Show Tabel dialog box. Then close the Show table dialog box.

Double-click the field you want to convert from upper to proper. The field should appear in the first column of the grid.

Click the Query command from the pull-down menu. Click Update Query.

Back to the grid, in the Update To: cell, type this:

StrConv([FieldName],3)

FieldName, of course, should be your actual field name.

Click the Bang! button (the red exclamation mark). Click Yes at the Update dialog box.

Open your table and see if the Update Query worked and then move on to your real file when you feel you've got it down.

Regards,
Tim

T

TSS

I did everything step by step and at the end, after hitting the bang button, I got a message that says... "Updating data in a linked table is not supported by this ISAM."

I thought we had it, but nothing changed.

Thanks for the instructions. What does that message mean?

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom