Reference says "MISSING" but file exists (1 Viewer)

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:26
Hi,

Accdb (365) says "MISSING" reference, so I uncheck it, and browse for it, compile, and app works.
Close the app, re-open and it says missing again.
But the file isn't missing, it's right there!
This happens no matter what I do: unregister / reregister DLL, move everything to different directory and start again, decompile app, restart computer.

MISSING.png

Any ideas as to what is causing this would be hugely appreciated,

Jack

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 03:26
did you do anything between when it was not missing and now that it is missing? the difference in file types or environments?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:26
Did you compile it as tlb using regasm?

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
No, I made no changes. I noticed it after unregistering the dll, moving the assembly (that is, the dlls and tlb) to a different folder, and re-registering.

The assembly was supplied, so not sure how the tlb was built. I've raised the issue with the developer; he can unregister the dll, move the assembly to a different location, reregister the dll and the tlb doesn't go missing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:26
What I see is that you have both a .DLL and a .TLB, but only one file is registered. Should you register BOTH? Or should you register the .DLL - which is what I would have guessed as a "standard" choice."

It is certainly possible to use a .TLB for Access, but when you have two choices with the same name, I guess it comes down to what the installation instructions say that you should use.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
Thanks very much to all.
I have worked around the problem by:
1) Use Regasm with the /regfile switch to generate the registry entries
2) sifted through the registry entries to determine how to late bind. That is, skip the tlb and load the object using CreateObject
3) trial and error to find which of the registry entries describes the [name1].[name2] combo that I needed

After a few goes with different combinations of likely-looking names (I know, I know, so high tech, what's he doing hob-nobbing with mere mortals, I ask you), the late bind worked and I could ignore the tlb. Phew. (That is, I was able to use CreateObject(name1.name2) instead of adding the tlb in the Tools/References)

Thanks again all, I hope nobody else gets this problem! I still don't know what caused it, but the workaround is fine.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom