References in Access 365 is not working (1 Viewer)

Richard M

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:02
Client upgraded from office Access 2013 to office 365 and the Cloud. The program was created on Access 2007. The program works fine on current computers. Client purchased new computers with Access 365 on it. The program now shows an error coming from a module.

The References in Access 2007 shows Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library and Microsoft Access 12.0 Object Library while in the 365 references shows another number.
  1. For the Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library, what is the DLL and where is it located?
  2. Can both of these be copied to the 365 References and how?
Thanks for the help because my head is getting sore :banghead:.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:02
Hi Richard. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying there is a problem with your 2007 file when running it on O365? If so, what was the problem?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Normally, the upgrade from a lower version of Office to a higher version automatically updates the library references to the correct number. I believe I read somewhere in this forum recently that Office 365 is equivalent to "Office 16.0" when using that style of versioning. If you see any number other than 16.0 in the references list then perhaps something is wrong.

A big question is whether the version of Off365 is the right "bitness." If you have Ac2007 as 32-bit and the Ac365 is 64-bit, turns out there are differences between the two libraries that won't upgrade automatically because they are not quite the same.

There is another question to be addressed: To say "program now shows an error" or "program is not working" is insufficient data for us to pin-point this problem for you. What is the exact error message coming from this miscreant computer? Text, error number, screen-shot, SOMETHING more than just "is not working" please.

To answer the other two questions more directly:

1. If the machine with Off365 is a fresh install on a new computer (and not an upgrade of an existing Off2007 installation) then the files you named don't exist anywhere. The corresponding ...16.0... versions might exist in C:\Program Files(X86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 - but don't take that to the bank; it is a guess because of the different business model of Ofc365 vs. Off2007.

2. Until you determine whether the bitness is correct (32 vs 64), copying the files might be counterproductive. AND it might not work even if the bitness is right, since Ofc365 will be looking at the interfaces to verify compatibility issues. So offhand, my answer is NO, don't do that until we know the specific error and can diagnose its causes.

Richard M

Registered User.
Local time
Hi The_DOC_Man

The client has about 8 computers that was upgraded to Off365. The database program is working great.

They purchased three new computers with new install Off365. When the database program was installed they received the error in one of the modules. This is when we found the Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library and Microsoft Access 12.0 Object Library were not there but the 16.0 was.

All 8 computers are 64 bit machines. I will be at the client's office Monday or Tuesday and have more answers for you:
  1. Verify 32 vs 64 bit.
  2. Microsoft Office 16.0 Access database engine Object Library and Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library.
  3. Get Screen-shot of the error message.
  4. When the error message appears.
Thanks for the help
Have a safe and great weekend

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:02
As they have Office365, both those references should be 16.0. In other words they are correct.
32-bit or 64-bit issues will affect whether code based on API declarations works correctly ... but should not affect the references used

Richard M

Registered User.
Local time
Hi The_DOC_Man

1. All computers new and old ones are 64 Bit with Windows 10-Pro.Also the BE is located on their in-house server while the FE is in the Cloud.

2. The references in the module are Microsoft Office 16.0 Access database engine Object Library and Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library. For all FEs

3. Get Screen-shot -- the first error message dialog box comes when the FE is opened and says "There was an error compiling this function.The Visual Basic module contains a syntax error. Check the code, and recompile it." There was no error code number on this message.

4. When click OK, I get a "Macro Single Step" dialog box. This has an error number of 7960. Also the arguments are Action Name: RunCode and the Arguments: checklinks() in the ModGetFile module.

I can send you the images via e-mail. ccttps@yahoo.com

Other problem:

Declare Function aht_apiGetOpenFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll" _
Alias "GetOpenFileNameA" (OFN As tagOPENFILENAME) As Boolean

Declare Function aht_apiGetSaveFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll" _
Alias "GetSaveFileNameA" (OFN As tagOPENFILENAME) As Boolean
Declare Function CommDlgExtendedError Lib "comdlg32.dll" () As Long

I'm not sure if this is a problem yet.

:banghead:haven't broken the wall yet.

Last edited:

Richard M

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you all for helping me break the wall. I figured it out with all your input and did corrected errors in code. It took awhile but all is running ok now.

Richard

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you all for helping me break the wall. I figured it out with all your input and did corrected errors in code. It took awhile but all is running ok now.

Richard
Hi Richard. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Richard,
We are in the process of moving to 365 as well, and I would like to know what you did to solve those errors. My first few users just called me today with an error message similar to what you posted, but after clicking "OK", I got the "Stop All Macros" pop-up.

I haven't been moved to 365 yet, so I am unable to test anything concrete.

Thanks,
Mike

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Error 7960 is one of those "Oh, crap" errors in which Access is about to crash and is politely saying goodbye. In RichardM's report, it was calling out "checklinks()" as the place where the error was triggered. Always look for error numbers and other indicators of where something broke, because that is the place to start looking.

There is that old Bugs Bunny rule in which Elmer Fudd wants to make hasenpfeffer. He reads the recipe for which the first instruction is "catch a rabbit." Your rabbit will be hiding where that "Arguments" information points.

zeroaccess

Local time
Richard,
We are in the process of moving to 365 as well, and I would like to know what you did to solve those errors. My first few users just called me today with an error message similar to what you posted, but after clicking "OK", I got the "Stop All Macros" pop-up.

I haven't been moved to 365 yet, so I am unable to test anything concrete.
First of all we need to lay a ground rule of using the actual version number. The Office 365 subscription model doesn't tell us what version of Office apps you have installed. You may say Access 2013, 2016, 2019, etc, which is the easiest to understand. Or, you can use the actual version numbers. Mine has updated to 2019, or more specifically, Version 1908 (Build 11929.20606).

About Office: What version of Office am I using?

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Right. Come to find out, corporate had some issues and installed 64 bit instead of 32 bit on a bunch of machines. Moving to 32 solved the problem.

Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:02
Our hardware has been 64-bit for at least 10 years, probably longer. That means that our OS' are also 64-bit. When people talk about bitness in an Access/Office forum, they are ALWAYS talking about the bitness of the Office version that is installed.

Just FYI the bitness refers to the number of bits in a register. A register is used in the OS as a way of holding the address of some piece of data or code. The larger the bit number, the longer the address can be and therefore the more memory or larger disk the app can make use of.

Up until just a few months ago, Microsoft was recommending 32-bit installs. This is because add-ins MUST match the bitness of the product they are added into, plus 64 bit didn't provide anything useful. So, it took a few years for all the companies making add-ins to rebuild their apps to work in a 64-bit environment. The 64-bit version of Office does absolutely NOTHING for Access except break any code that uses the Windows API. However, bitness does affect Excel (and probably word also) in that it allows dumb users to create humongous spreadsheets that can contain over a million rows. Excel operates totally within memory so the whole file needs to be loaded and be addressable, hence larger registers = larger files. Access is a relational database and doesn't load anything that isn't currently active and doesn't need to load all million rows at any one time. I've worked with many tables containing multi-million rows going back 20 years and Access is fine with them as long as you don't bind forms/reports to tables or queries without where clauses.

zeroaccess

Local time
Excel has allowed million-row spreadsheets ever since the .xlsx format was introduced (2007) and isn't related to 32 or 64-bit installs. I'm sure 64-bit Excel allows more "stuff" to be put in a file and used at once, though.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:02
Excel has allowed million-row spreadsheets
It's an address space issue. You can have a million rows with two numeric columns or you can have a million rows with a hundred text columns. You need 64-bit to support the huge datasets.

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Thanks Pat for the explanation. And that's where the 32/64 problem arose: the Windows API. If I want to use the API with a 64 bit version of Access, I would need to add code to handle that version, correct?

Thanks to Doc, Colin, zero and Shrek!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:02
Partly correct. You will need to MODIFY API declarations for 64-bit Access

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom