Remote Backend (1 Viewer)

AnnaFoot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:34
Hello,

Is it possible to have an access backend sitting on a web server somewhere and have the front ends in access on the individual pcs.

I have a database -fe/be - that is currently operating happily on a network. Now people want to be able to use the database remotely.

My concept is that a web server could operate like a local server and host the backend. I've no idea if this is actually possible though.

The last thing i want to do is redesign the fe in asp.net. It is only a limited number of known people who want to be able to access the backend.

If it is possible - could you give some ideas on what to search the forum for, or your own thoughts.

Thanks
Anna

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:34
Anna,

You can use Access (or SQL) as a backend on a web server but you will almost certainly have to create a new front-end to deal with the "wide area" connection. If you don't want to use ASP, Access sports something called Data Access Pages -- I have never worked with them and judging by the lack of questions here, not a great many others have either.

Sorry for the dark answer...

Regards,
Tim

PierreR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:04
I am doing it on my home network with my own computer and my wife's. All the tables are on a regular Access database with extension .mdb - using the Jet-engine.

You can then have many front-ends with tables linked (File-Get External Data-Link) to this backend. As I am learning Access, I have several on my own computer, and she has several on her computer, all linked to the back-end on my computer, through the network.

Warning: She says she cannot keep her front-end open all the time, or the connection to the back-end goes corrupt after a while. But if she closes and restarts Access, the connection is reestablished.

Maybe that is a problem of our network, not Access.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
PierreR said:
Warning: She says she cannot keep her front-end open all the time, or the connection to the back-end goes corrupt after a while. But if she closes and restarts Access, the connection is reestablished.

Maybe that is a problem of our network, not Access.

Is it a wireless network?

Brian1960

Brian1960
Local time
WAN and Access

I have several clients who run a front end locally and a backend on a server. Unless the network is fast and reliable the users have to log off and on every so often. The first sign is CurrentUser has a null value. If you want to run on a WAN there are 2 options. 1) Re-write the front end using ASP or JSP as a presentation layer in a web server (IIS, Tomcat or PWS) or 2)Use Terminal Services or a Simliar tool to run it locally.

You basically can't "link" accross a WAN.

Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom