Removing altering underlying criteria from a form (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:29
I have a form displaying data from a person on a waiting list. Criteria in underlying query is -1 in "waiting" field. One of the buttons on the form is "Send to Archive". The Archive button macro accurately puts a -1 in archive field but cannot change the waiting field to 0. It can make the archive change but cannot zero the waiting value because that is the underlying query criteria. How can I change that field so that person doesn't show up as waiting, either immediately or after form is closed?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 02:29
Can a record ever be Waiting and Archived? Are they mutually exclusive?

If so, should get rid of both those fields and replace them with a [Status] field which will hold the value 'Archived' or 'Waiting' (and whatever other status they could be in.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I cannot get rid of waiting and archived fields because other reports and actions are based on one or the other field's setting. The two are mutually exclusive. However, you have given me an idea how to accomplish this. I can set up another query that changes waiting to 0 if archive is -1. Thanks for your input.
Can a record ever be Waiting and Archived? Are they mutually exclusive?

If so, should get rid of both those fields and replace them with a [Status] field which will hold the value 'Archived' or 'Waiting' (and whatever other status they could be in.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You can and should get rid of the separate fields. Rather than making another band aid, maybe you should fix the underlying problem;) Now that you understand that with a mutually exclusive value, you use a SINGLE field, that's a step forward. Best practice is to shore up the foundation. Don't just slap some paint on it. The longer you put off fixing the problem, the more things you end up having to change.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
You can and should get rid of the separate fields. Rather than making another band aid, maybe you should fix the underlying problem;) Now that you understand that with a mutually exclusive value, you use a SINGLE field, that's a step forward. Best practice is to shore up the foundation. Don't just slap some paint on it. The longer you put off fixing the problem, the more things you end up having to change

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I agree with you, and if I were starting over, I would certainly follow your advice. In this case, I did opt for the band-aid route. I set up an update query that runs automatically when the screen closes. Took care of the problem without digging into lots of other aspects of the program. I thank you for replying and being willing to help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome anyway.

PS, changing the value of the criteria field is not being prevented by the form. There is no reason to run an update query. Perhaps in your "save" button, you are not saving the record but instead are requerying the form and that is what is causing your problem. Requery in this case has yet another unwanted side effect when used incorrectly in that it would make the "saved" record disappear. Or maybe, that's exactly what you want to happen. When you close the form, the recordset it created also closes so the next time you open the form, that record would not be selected since the criteria would not be satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom