Removing characters (1 Viewer)

Rick

Local time
Today, 15:08
I have a "User" field in a table that gets populated from an imported file. The data in the field looks like the following:

MT<>PWI<>Smith
MT<>PWI<>Jones
MT<>PWI<>Doe

How do I strip the MT<>PWI<> from the record(s). This will also need to work on our monthly imports. Thanks in advance

bradcccs

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:08
Is the "MT<>PWI<>" portion of name constant? Without exceptions?

AncientOne

Senior Citizen
Local time
Use an Update query with the "Update to line" set to:

Right([USER],Len([USER]-9))

This will strip the first 9 characters from the string. This will only work if the characters to be stripped are always the first nine.

bradcccs

Registered User.
Local time
My line of thought exactly.

However, do not run the update query on the same table more than once unless you have a criteria statement active, or you will strip a name a second time.

ie:
MT<>PWI<>Smithopolous
(1st action) gives
Smithopolous
(2nd time) gives
ous (First nine characters removed)

if the pre-string is constant, you could use the following criteria:

Like ("MT<>PWI<>*")

Brad.

AncientOne

Senior Citizen
Local time
Yes, definitely add the criterion (It goes in the criteria line of the grid, not in the Update line: sorry if this seems too elementary)

harra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
If you are using Access2000 or greater you get the use of the Replace() function. YOu can do something like this:
Code:
Replace([User],"MT<>PWI<>","")

This will replace any instances of MT<>PWI<> with a NullString. Plus, you don't need to worry about executing the Update Query more than once since it will only "clean" the field if the MT<>PWI<> string exists

Rick

Local time
Sorry for the dumb question Harra but, Where would I insert this statement? Would I create a Module for this?? Again, I apologize, I am still learning. Thanks to all for the responses.

harra

Registered User.
Local time
Rick,

Just like AncientOne suggested you need to put it on the "Update To" line of the Query Builder. This should be the easiest way to clean up this data.

Rick

Local time
It's me again, When I attempt to run the "Replace" statement in the "Update" query I get the following error: Undefined function REPLACE in expression.

What am i doing wrong???

harra

Registered User.
Local time
Rick,

It's not working because stupid me ASSUMED that replace was a function was available to a query.

What I did was create a public function in a global module. For simplicity sake I named it ReplaceUQ because you are using the same paramter syntax, but it is a user-defined function.
Code:
Public Function ReplaceUQ(strText As String, strFind, strReplace) As String
    ReplaceUQ = Replace(strText, strFind, strReplace)
End Function

Then you can use the following syntax in the "Update To" section of your UPDATE Query:
Code:
ReplaceUQ([User],"MT<>PWI<>","")

I tested it this time and it works for me in Access2000. I am assuming you are using an Access version 2000 or higher because this won't work with Access97

bradcccs

Registered User.
Local time
I am using AccXP and was able to use the replace statement inside the update query without issue.

Thanks harra, that could become handy.

harra

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe AccessXP opened up some more Functions that can be used within a Query. Good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom