Replies = 0 (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
This is a great site in my opinion. However, I have noticed that there are some rather old posts with zero replies :eek:
Though a lot of these are the one hit type of members, I sometimes have ideas for answers but dont want to detract from the sites good reputation by making it look like only one person could finally came up with an answer 43 weeks and 3 days after the question was posted... :eek:

Just wondering if there is an admin who will do janitorial duties or they are just left in case some one like me feels like finally coming up with an answer 43 weeks and 3 days after the question was posted :rolleyes:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:53
I fully agree with 521. In 43 weeks Bill G may have revised Access 3 times. so what version to choose.

Also the Calender on this forum needs revision. Currently , it only goes to January 2007.

modest

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:53
My moderator status has been revoked once the database was hacked. Currently working with Jon to reinstate me. I'll go back through and revise the Module/VBA section when this happens

Last edited:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
I strongly object to a clean up like this -
Though a lot of these are the one hit type of members, I sometimes have ideas for answers but dont want to detract from the sites good reputation by making it look like only one person could finally came up with an answer 43 weeks and 3 days after the question was posted...

If noone posted a response on the 43 weeks and 3 days - the most truthful thing would be to reflect this.

To remove them says - we answered all our posts on the forum! (because we delete the ones we don't answer) - which is a huge distortion of the truth, and dishonest in the extreme. Its useful to see occasionally the stuff that can't get answered.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:53
I always look at the zero reply posts under the New Posts button. If I can help I do, no point in saying anything if you can't help.
We all have our favourite parts of access we're reasonably good at - e.g. I'm rubbish at reports, I always use the wizard, but Rich is much more expert on reports than me.

If the person really wants a reply, they usually "bump" the thread up anyway

I agree with Paul, leave them alone

Col

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Here is a list of some questions which are older than a year.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=1386859

As far as I can see , most of the posters are one timers, so would it make sense to answer them now.
Also, if these are deleted, would that not improve the speed of this site/forum.
Lately the speed has dropped down dramatically.

Just my 2 cts.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:53
I too try and answer the zero reply threads first just as does Col. I also agree they should be left alone. Just my $0.02.

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 13:53
unanswered posts seem to fall into (at least):

- hard-to-answer/specialized questions;
- difficult to understand questions (poor explanations of a problem (wth?), or language barriers);
- asked and answered (repeat-questions (i often assume that the top posters here just get tired of 'em sometimes, understandably)).

there might be a limitation with vbulletin, but, how about another category (in addition to New Posts): Unanswered Posts? (you can do an advanced search on posts with zero replies, but you have to add keywords to the search criteria).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:53
Now wazz, that's a thought...

Move unanswered posts to an "Unanswered in x weeks" category.

But I'll tell you that I rarely touch an old, 0-reply post. When I do, I'll point to help via Access Help or a forum search. If it looks like someone asked for help with an obvious homework problem, I'll almost certainly back away.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 06:53
Perhaps sometimes it might be helpful to let the OP know why they haven't got an answer - especially the ones that Wazz describes as "difficult to understand" and the ones where either a quick google or a search of the forum would solve the issue

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Seems that i am not alone. The ones that remain unanswered (at least a day old) is my category. But sometimes i can't help myself and answer the new questions.

What strikes me is that in the "similar threads" section usually below the post, there are five links to similar questions which are often NOT answered. I believe that they must be answered. Otherwise it's of no use.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 01:53
Perhaps sometimes it might be helpful to let the OP know why they haven't got an answer - especially the ones that Wazz describes as "difficult to understand" and the ones where either a quick google or a search of the forum would solve the issue

usually if i read a question that i cant quite understand i ask them to re-explain their problem to try to grasp the exact concept....

I say leave the posts.... i see people post on other peoples 0 replies stating that they are having a similar problem and if a fix was ever found... which will reopen the thread anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom