Report copy help (1 Viewer)

CanvasShoes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:05
I have a database that I didn't design. It's from a client and they didn't design it either (and it's rather a piece of crap). So, I apologize upfront if this gets complicated.

Our client is the prime contractor of the client and we are the subs. Using or designing a different database (don't I wish!) isn't an option.

We have a different copy of the database for each of the separate sites in this project and most of the time, the database work "okay". But they get very glitchy from time to time and I have run across a glitch that I can't fix or work around. One of the reports suddenly refuses to show the header page info. This is a new report to me, so it may have already been screwed up when the original data entry person put the info in.

I don't know enough about Access to figure out how to copy that page ONLY from the report of another database, can someone help me?

I tried all of the usual MS tricks, cutting and pasting, dragging (I figured Access wouldn't allow it, but gave it a whirl anyway). All I want is to replace the crappy first page of my report with the "good" page from another database.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:05
Have you tried importing the report object of the good one into your database. Then you can do a SELECT ALL (Ctrl + A) and paste into the crappy one? :)

CanvasShoes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:05
Have you tried importing the report object of the good one into your database. Then you can do a SELECT ALL (Ctrl + A) and paste into the crappy one? :)

That's probably JUST the trick I needed. I only know JUST enough to be dangerous. :D And unfortunately, the MS websites don't list help in the terminology that laypersons use.

As it is, I'd totally forgotten that I could just do a "save as" with the good database and then relink it to the "backend" database with the new site info (whew! I didn't want to reenter all that stuff). Maybe that will help others with Report pages gone bad?

Thanks for your help.

Laura

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Hehe! No worries Laura. Glad you got that sorted.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
lost my reply somehow - so I'll haveto do it again.

A report doesnt go bad, as you put it, and a page doesnt disappear

A report displays/prints all the items in the query that drives it.

you then determine whether and how you want the header and footer of each page to appear, and also an overall report header and footer.

you can also show subtotals for any grouping or subgrouping within the report. Its very powerful.

Maybe all that happened was you deleted the report header section ....

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 12:05
Corruption can make things "disappear" so that is a possible explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom