report manipulation (1 Viewer)

mtc67

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:07
How do you make a group header appear even though there is no underlying data available?
I have a report that is listing the participants in volunteer activities but i want the activity to be listed regardless, even if there was no participation.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance
Mary

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:07
Assuming you have a table that just defines activities, include it with a right join in the report's query. If you don't already have such a table, you should make one. You can also use it to populate a combobox on the data entry form to make sure that only defined activities are entered.

jfi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:07
I'm assuming that the data being sent to the report is a simple query or straight from a table where each record is like this:

field1: activity
field2: name

and then your report groups on activity.

The problem with trying to list activities with no name is that the report wouldn't know about those activities because the query wouldn't tell it about them.

A quick and dirty fix that I can think of is to enter a blank name (" ") under each activity which will cause an empty spot to be listed at the beginning of each group. This would cause every activity to be listed because every activity would now have at least one entry, the mysterious, highly active person who only goes by " ." If you left little to no spacing between the group header and the detail section it would make it look like the blank space was part of your formatting.

Not very elegant but it should be functional.

-Joshua

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom