Solved Report PDF and white space....help! (1 Viewer)

DanSingleton

Local time
Today, 15:05
Hi all. I have not used access in many years and just getting back in to it. Have a slight issue that is very frustrating. So I have a report (images to follow shortly) and it looks ok as a report. However, when I convert to pdf to email it the report suddenly gains a whole lotta white space between controls. Not all of them, I have a few lines and then the rest of the page is white space, and it starts again at the top of the next page. Does anyone know why this happens and how to avoid it?

Here is the report as a report within Access...............

1585845546558.png

and here is how the converted PDF comes out...........
1585845655140.png

As you can see, huge amounts of white space. This report could be crunched down to 2 pages but instead is across 6 pages.

Huge thank you in advance for any help

Dan

Attachments

• 1585845644536.png
    1585845644536.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 236

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:05
Hi Dan. Was that an image of the report in report view or print preview?

DanSingleton

Local time
Hi theDBguy.

Image 1 was in report view. Image 2 is how the pdf turned out

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi theDBguy.

Image 1 was in report view. Image 2 is how the pdf turned out

Thanks
Okay, just FYI, report view does not include pagination. Obviously, PDF does. What does your report look like in print preview? Does it match the PDF? If not, that could be a concern.

DanSingleton

Local time
Ahh....it looks like the PDF view in Print Preview. Do you know how to make it all look like image 1? It feels like if the PDF is shuffling stuff around to cater for pages, then its moving things that do not need to be moved. Some of the shifted items are a couple of line at best and the previous page is 2/3 empty

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ahh....it looks like the PDF view in Print Preview. Do you know how to make it all look like image 1? It feels like if the PDF is shuffling stuff around to cater for pages, then its moving things that do not need to be moved. Some of the shifted items are a couple of line at best and the previous page is 2/3 empty
Well, this is just a guess, but I am thinking report view doesn't have any constraints, except for maybe your screen resolution. On the other hand print preview and PDF are constrained by the page margins and paper size. For example, try going into your report's page layout settings and try to use a custom paper size that's really big (or big enough). Does it make any difference?

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 10:05
Can you share a screen shot of design view, to see which sections were used?

DanSingleton

Local time
Hi guys. Apologies for my late reply have not been able to get back to my pc for a few days.

OK so theDBguy... cannot seem to set a custom paper size. If I switch it over to tabular view I get a little more on each page, but still only fill half of each page

zeroaccess...I use only the header and the detail

1.PNG

Thanks again for your help guys

Dan

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:05
What is the error icon all about? Top left in your image....

DanSingleton

Local time
Micron, I am unsure but its not here now! And yes the issue still persists

Dan

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
You mention header and detail. Is it possible you have a footer section that is blank and taking up space as this could cause the pages to break sooner than expected. Also, what about the margins of your page setup, are they consistent for Header and Footer?

DanSingleton

Local time
sxschech ... you sir are fantastic, and I am an idiot. enlarged footer space was the exact issue. I had previously used it, and then moved content out of it. Man, I feel pretty stupid. As afore-mentioned its been a long while since I have used this program, so much so that I feel extremely new to it. Cannot believe I overlooked that but thank you so, so much. It now fits to page as expected.

Also thank you to theDBguy, zeroaccess and Micron for everything. Sorry for wasting your time with such a simple oversight!!

Dan

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:05
Been there, done that (or something similar). No worries, it helps to keep our minds sharp while we contain ourselves during theses times and we all learn (or are reminded of) something.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
glad the suggestion solved your issue. It's nice when it is a simple fix and doesn't require a lot of code or error trapping to sort out.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
sxschech ... you sir are fantastic, and I am an idiot. enlarged footer space was the exact issue. I had previously used it, and then moved content out of it. Man, I feel pretty stupid. As afore-mentioned its been a long while since I have used this program, so much so that I feel extremely new to it. Cannot believe I overlooked that but thank you so, so much. It now fits to page as expected.

Also thank you to theDBguy, zeroaccess and Micron for everything. Sorry for wasting your time with such a simple oversight!!

Dan
Hi Dan. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom