Reputation (1 Viewer)

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
Where do I go to see my or someone elses reputation points?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 04:54
You can see your own points and the last five posts to your rep by going to your User CP and make sure that the Latest Reputation Received is expanded.

However, unfortunately I don't know of a way, short of being a moderator, that you can go view all of it and who left it.

You can't view someone else's reputation points.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
how many new posters do you have to help before you get a point? seems like 100

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
I went to my USER CP and couldn't find what you are talking about. Is it because I have NO points? If others can't see your points what is the exact point of having them? Personal satisfaction?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Also, just as an FYI on how it works.

Whoever leaves you reputation must have enough posts or enough time on the board to count. Posters with under a certain number of posts or not signed up on the board for a long enough time don't count, but they can leave you comments.

Someone who's been on the board for a year, or more, has a multiplier so each rep point is worth more as they have been on the board for a longer time.

You get a green dot starting out when you sign on to the board (you get an initial 10 reputation points) and if you get to 100 then another green dot is added and another for each 100 points.

If you mouse-over the green dots, you can see different sayings. They will change at 50, 150, 250, 350, etc.

To see more about that go here
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/
and find the category on the side that says User Reputation.

Oh, and if someone leaves you negative reputation then points are taken away.

rainman89

Local time
Whoever leaves you reputation must have enough posts or enough time on the board to count. Posters with under a certain number of posts or not signed up on the board for a long enough time don't count, but they can leave you comments.

then why help noobs??? :p :p :D :D :p :p

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
then why help noobs??? :p :p :D :D :p :p

Nah, I was thinking of modifying the instructions in my signature to tell them to post reputation, only after posting 50 posts (don't know if that's the cutoff or what) or after being on the board for 6 months to a year. :D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you want to know anything about your own rep points you can contact me and I'll get the info to you via PM.

rainman89

Local time
can you change the quote that comes up when u hover over the rep?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Only the forum administrator or owner. SJ might be able to do so, but us moderators can't.

rainman89

Local time
They should say something cooler... but thats just my opinion

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I agree, they are kind of lame.

Oh, and kidrobot - Yes, the reputation will show up when someone gives you some. It won't show up while you are still at the initial 10 points. I just tested that with a test user I had created. I also found out that anyone currently getting reputation from me gets a whopping 12 points due to my time on board AND number of posts. So, give me something to give points for and you can jump :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:54

Someone who's been on the board for a year, or more, has a multiplier so each rep point is worth more as they have been on the board for a longer time.

Infact the whole thing is a load of rubbish, you can spend far more time helping a noobe than an experienced user, then of course some use the feature and some don't, plus posts in the Watercooler etc are added to one's post count, still perhaps both the post count and this feature appeal to people's vanity, me I would just like a bit of feed back if I have done more than spot a syntax error or suggested a function.

Brian

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 12:54
I think the notion behind it is worthy enough in theory in that those who have been helpful get the recognition within the community they deserve and it can reassure new members struggling to solve something that the advice someone is giving out may be more solid than another's. But in practice it's not a well documented feature and has never been part of the forum's culture (it's something that really needs cultivated from the start) and therefore few users use it, let alone know about it.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
and therefore few users use it, let alone know about it.
Hence it pays to advertise it and I have noticed a big difference in the reputation points of those who mention it in their signature (yes, call me vain I do it). If Pat had put it in hers she probably would have a huge number. But, because of that lack of knowledge, she doesn't have that many and she should.

It is kind of gratifying (yes, ego stroking) to be the only one on the board (short of Jon's artificially created) with two (soon to be three) green dots. It is fun to get the comments and the points. For others, like Brian, it really doesn't matter and that's okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom