restrict aggregate query results? (1 Viewer)

MS$DesignersRCretins

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:24
I'd like to do a grouping query as follows. The source table has three numbers per record.
Code:
A    B    C
1   50    17
1  100    11
2   30    55
2   60    22
I would like to do a query that groups field A;
gives the max for field B;
gives the field C that corresponds to the max B for each A. That is, I WANT:
1 100 11
2 60 22
since those are the max B's. But if I go
SELECT A, Max(B), C
all 4 original records are returned, because I'm grouping C.
How can I get C in the output, but just the ones corresponding to max B?

All I can come up with is doing 2 passes:
select a,max(B)
and then left or right joining that output to the source table, thus preventing e.g. 1 50 17 from consideration.

Is there a more direct way?

Sorry for the lame thread title. I didn't know how to describe it succinctly.

Last edited:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
There's a different way to skin this cat, but I wouldn't call it more direct--it technically makes 2 passes at it as well. This method would use Dmax function nested inside a Dlookup.

Essentially you would Group BY A, get the MAX of B, then you would create a 3rd field like this for C:

Cvalue: Dlookup("[C]", "YourTableNameHere", "[A]=" & [A] & " AND = " & DMax("", "YourTableNameHere", "[A] = " & [A]))

I would keep the method you have now.

MS$DesignersRCretins

Registered User.
Local time
An offbeat solution occurred to me. Assuming C is assured to be less than a million, then
max (1e7*B+1e6+C)
and leave C out of the query. Then the right 6 positions are C; all but the right 7 are B.
Is that too wacky an approach?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yes. Plus you would still have to decode it (extract all positions out into correct fields) which means you still need 2 passes at it to get what you want.

MS$DesignersRCretins

Registered User.
Local time
(Regarding max (1e7*B+1e6+C))Yes. Plus you would still have to decode it (extract all positions out into correct fields)
which means you still need 2 passes at it to get what you want.
Actually I'd parse it in Excel, so it would be one pass in Access, since the C information would be captured. So this idea saves a pass, and a join, but adds work in Excel.

If anyone wants to see try all this, my original problem was, for the 3 field, 4 record table described earlier, that

SELECT A, Max(B), C
FROM Table1
GROUP BY A, C;
returns 4 records; It's grouping every C, not just the ones corresponding to highest B.

SELECT A, Max(B),
FROM Table1
GROUP BY A;
returns 2 records.as desired, but must be used as a subquery (or additional preliminary query); A and B from the first query or subquery must be joined to the original Table1.

SELECT A, Max(B), Max((10000000*)+1000000+[c]) AS foo
FROM Table1
GROUP BY A;
returns 2 records.as desired, and in a single pass, but C must still be parsed out. It's captured for later processing outside of Access.

I had hoped that somehow I could go
SELECT A, Max(B) AS MaxOfB, C
FROM Table1
GROUP BY A;
which is invalid ("You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'C' as part of an aggregate function"). That invalid query is what you get from removing C from the GROUP BY - that is, from the query builder, changing the "Total" line in the query builder from Group By to Expression. I was grasping for something clever (like SUM, which on first glance looked almost viable), or even a UDF. (The UDF didn't fool it. It still said an aggregate function was required.)

I think I was trying to defeat the laws of logic in this quest, but I guess that's why God made subqueries :p. If anyone has another practical or philosophical angle like plog's I'm interested, but I expect I'll just keep subquerying and joining meanwhile.

[edit: changed group by to max(B) in 3rd query above]

Last edited:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 08:24
You can do it with a UDF, but I don't think it is better or quicker as a sub query.
It is only to show it can be done.

Change the table name "Tabel3" to the table name you use.
Code:
The query:
SELECT A, Max(Tabel3.B) AS B, FindC([A],[B]) AS C
FROM Tabel3
GROUP BY A, FindC([A],[B])
HAVING (((FindC([A],[B])) Is Not Null));
Paste the following in a module.
Code:
Public Function FindC(A As Long, B As Long)
  Dim dbs As Database, rst As Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT A, Max(B) AS MaxOfB " _
  & "FROM Tabel3 WHERE A=" & "" & A & "" & " GROUP BY A")

If rst![MaxOfB] = B Then
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT C " _
    & "FROM Tabel3 WHERE A=" & "" & A & "" & " AND B=" & "" & B & "")
    FindC = rst![c]
  End If
End Function

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom