Returning word if between two values (2 Viewers)

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:09
Can this be done?

I trying to get Excel to return either Low, Medium or High based on the result of another function. This is for a risk management sheet. If the cell result is under 40%, I want it to show "Low" as the result; if the value is between 40% and 87%, the return is "Medium". Any other value would be "High".

I've tried nesting if functions but I have managed to get the result i wanted so long as the "medium" value is exactly a figure (for example 50%). The problem is that the original function identifed a "Low" result but everything else is medium. The function is:

=IF($AD7<0.5,"Low",IF($AD7>=0.5,"Medium",IF($AD7<0.85,"Medium",IF($AD7>0.85,"High","ERROR"))))

where AD7 is a simple math sum to work out the % of one cell over a maximum value.

I've tried searching the forum and the web and I have had no luck except for finding a SQL function for use within Access.

I'm running Office07 on a Vista system.

Many thanks in advance

David

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:09
IF($AD7<0.5,"Low",
IF($AD7>=0.5,"Medium",
IF($AD7<0 .85,"Medium",
IF($AD7>0.85,"High","ERROR"))))

Your second IF says >= 0.5 then Medium, which means that 0.90 will also be >= 0.50 and return Medium... You either need to "reformat" your formula like so:
IF($AD7<0.5,"Low",
IF($AD7>0.85,"High","Medium"))
Getting the High and Low first, anything left over is Medium

or Use AND...
IF($AD7<0.5,"Low",
IF(And($AD7>=0.5, $AD7<0 .85),"Medium",
IF($AD7>0.85,"High","ERROR"))))
To actually trap only the Medium when the value is between 0.50 and 0.85

Note: In this case NOTHING will happen if the value IS 0.85 because there is no = sign anywhere.

Good luck

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:09
Your second IF says >= 0.5 then Medium, which means that 0.90 will also be >= 0.50 and return Medium... You either need to "reformat" your formula like so:
IF($AD7<0.5,"Low",
IF($AD7>0.85,"High","Medium"))
Getting the High and Low first, anything left over is Medium

You're a star.
Thank you Mailman - It's not as if I haven't done this before. I just couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Of course, now all my conclusions are out of the window! Never mind, I'll blag it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom