running a function from a different database (1 Viewer)

dhoffman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:59
I am trying to automate the compilation of a rather large amount of data. More than one mdb file is to be involved but I would like everything to be controlled from only one of the database files. So I need to know how, if it is even possible, to make functions in other databases run. That is, I want to call those functions from a different database than the one they are located in. I fairly experienced at writing VBA code for Access databases, but I have no idea if this is even possible, please help poor little me.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Today, 09:59
No, it isn't possible, BUT ... how's your VB? Do you have a copy? Create a .DLL file with the function and you can call it from both DBs.

dhoffman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:59
I've got like 50 databases that are all the same except for the specific data stored in them. I want to compile some statistical data from each database and then combine that data into one table in one database. I wanted to be able to do that automatically without the user having to open up each separate database and compile the data. Combining all of the original data into one database may not be possible, I think it might be too much data, I'm not sure.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Today, 09:59
No, you can do that. Have your code in the master DB and link to the data in the other databases through ADO. Compile the data and store the results in the master DB. Append the results from each database into the master DB. The process will take a while to run, sure, but it will run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom