Question Samples Project (1 Viewer)

floorboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:57
Samples Project
Hello all, please be gentle with me. I’m 54, self-taught and don’t want to frustrate anyone but will need walking through in baby steps.
I work in a small carpet shop We have hundreds of products and thousands of sample. I’ve been trying to get a database together to handle the listing of all products and samples. I realise the need for unique identifiers for all this and have come up with a way of using a sort of decimal product number, although in the table this is a text field.
As far as products go, I intend to use the following
010 represents a product group
001 represents a product
01 denotes a colour
This gives me enough numbers to cope with all the products we have and I’ve named this field Primary Product Number.
The bulk of my problem is when cataloguing the samples. A sample book may contain up to three or four different qualities of the same product ie. Devon Twist Classic, Super, Elite and Ultima.
If the book contains many weights of the same product, I think I have to list them as four different products, but catalogue the sample book using just one of them. The books will be labelled B001, B001D, B001D2, B001D3 etc… according to how many books we have. This enables me to identify the sample book and log it out on loan to a customer.
Bear with me this post does eventually end.
Each product may be available from up to six different suppliers all with different prices for example each supplier may offer the product at a cut length price as well as a roll price, 3 roll price or 5 roll price.
I need to list the products and prices first so that I can put them into price groups, then allocate a product number.
I have created the following tables
Tbl Supplier Price
FK Primary Product Number
Product Name
1st Supplier (Lookup Supplier tbl)
1st Unit 1 (Lookup Unit tbl)
1st Price 1
1st Unit 2 (Lookup Unit tbl)
1st Price 2
1st Unit 3 (Lookup) Unit tbl)
1st Price 3
1st Unit 4 (lookup Unit tbl)
1st Price 4
2nd Supplier (Lookup Supplier tbl)
2nd Unit 1
2nd Price 2 etc…. repeated for six suppliers

Tbl Products
PK Primary Product Number
Product Name

The problem comes when I want to add a product but not enter a Product number as null is not allowed.
If anyone can give me any ideas I would greatly appreciate it and If you live anywhere near Northampton UK give you a great price on any flooring……………Fingers crossed

floorboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:57
thanks jdraw I can't send a pic of my relationships, only 5 posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom