Scanning data into forms (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Today, 06:33
I have a form that is unbound, I scan an employee badge and the after update event opens a Job tracking form that has a work order subform on it. when the job tracking form opens after some if/then statements, the form sets focus to a work order field and is waiting for input, when I scan the work order barcode I get nothing in the field.
Same bar code scanner same barcode type (39), I have the asterisk in the barcode field and the scanner will scan the barcode to notepad.
I can't figure out why access does not input the scan into the field that has the focus.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:33
Are you sure the focus is on the right form? What happens if you just type something on the keyboard?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:33
same controlsource data type? control is not locked or disabled? job tracking form recordsource is updateable?

slharman1

Local time
Are you sure the focus is on the right form? What happens if you just type something on the keyboard?
Yes, If I type something it fills in the field.
But I did notice it doesn't go to the next field, just stays in the current field

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:33
Some related threads:

slharman1

Local time
same controlsource data type? control is not locked or disabled? job tracking form recordsource is updateable?
Hmm, now that I think about it, I am creating the barcode by concatenating a number field and a text field in a query to get the query field for the barcode, like this, [Number] & "-" & [Text], but that is only to print the barcode.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
is the query your form recordsource?

only other thought is you have some code in one or more of the control events preventing the barcode entry

slharman1

Local time

only other thought is you have some code in one or more of the control events preventing the barcode entry
I have been having issues with my code running. Everything works great. I copy it to my home pc, re link the back end and then I have to open the code to get it to run. I don’t have to save it or anything, just put the form in design view, open the code window, go back to form view and it all runs. Not sure what it is. Maybe a MS update or something.

slharman1

Local time

Oh and yes a query is the record source, but not for the form. It works now though, not sure why but I can make the second scan and all is working. Very strange to me. Been struggling for many hours on it. I was starting to think that bouncing between too many front ends might be causing issues as well. I need to learn how you pros work on your working copy and keep the user copy in tact until ready to update.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
learn how you pros work on your working copy and keep the user copy in tact until ready to update.
The method I use is 3 environments

1. Development
2. Testing
3. Production

naming conventions are important - basically you have 3 BE's and 3 FE's, name then according to the environment they are in.

For the development backend, use a copy of the production backend, so it doesn't matter if you mess it up or you need to test new processes. You can cleardown tables as well if required or create new ones. Ideally the backend should be in a similar location to final production (i.e. on the server) so you can check on performance. Obviously you will have a versioning system in place and a log of all changes made (I do this in a module which just has comments and for more wide ranging changes give a change an identifier code which is also commented wherever in the code so a simply find will find all the changes)

For testing, again can use a copy of the production backend, also in a similar location to the production backend. You should have a testing script so users know what it is they are testing and what to do if it is not working to their understanding. Depending on the nature of the updates you are doing this may be a whole application check or just a part of the app. If you have different user levels then testing should be across all levels. You don't need every user to test, but do need a reasonable number - perhaps 5 or 6.

So you loop develop>test>develop until all tests are passed. Only make changes in the development environment and resubmit for testing. Making changes on the fly in the testing environment is not a good idea, Better they test a .accde rather than a .accdb

Once all testing has been completed, the app can be locked down (.accde/whatever) and the final front end distributed to all users.

As far as the actual environments are concerned for each app I will typically have 3 subfolders, one for each environment in an 'app folder on the server, but does depend on the client, sometimes I develop on my own equipment, sometimes theirs, sometimes a mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom