Search Property Values in System Tables (1 Viewer)

synersoft

Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
Hello,

I can't find where an app is calling a submacro. Is it possible to search the metadata (MSys..) tables for such things? Any other way to trap where a macro is called? I'm not a macro guy. Sadly FMS tools are not an option on this project.

Regards,

Jay

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:12
Hi Jay. Have you tried using the Object Dependencies under Database Tools. Otherwise, maybe you could also try this (although I'm not sure how deep it will go into macros or submacros).

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:12
some of these new macros are hard to find, and hard to use, I think. I gave up trying to understand how the macros worked in the latest incarnation of the switchboard. I use the A2003 switchboard.

synersoft

Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
The Object Dependency did not seem to be available for Macros.

I'll take a look at the other link you posted.

Thanks,

Jay

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
There are several types of macro
1. Standard macros are created from the ribbon and saved as a database object available from the navigation pane. Like all database objects these are listed in the system table MSysObjects.
These can include submacros but those cannot be accessed as separate objects.

2. Embedded macros which can be used instead of event procedures for controls on forms and reports. These are not available from the navigation pane and AFAIK cannot be accessed from any of the system tables that are available for viewing.

From your description, I would expect that you need to look through the properties of the form and its controls and examining all embedded macros for whatever issue you are searching for.

As you've already discovered, the Object Dependency tool is no use for this purpose. However there is a free add-in called V-Tools which obtains a deep search facility. That MAY help.

I also have code to allow editing of macros as 'text files' but I've never released this as a separate utility

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
embedded macros. They are the things. I presume you could iterate a form's controls, and the embedded macros, providing you know the property to look for.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Dave
I'm not sure you can do so. Its one reason why I hate embedded macros and always use event procedures
I suspect the details are stored in one or more of the 9 deep hidden system tables starting with MSysComplexType_ …
However the contents of those tables are not directly accessible to end users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom