Security, usernames and passwords (1 Viewer)

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:10
Hi all,

I created a database in Access 2010 for a client.

Now after completing it they bring up that they would like if possible some security (sure I mentioned it at the start).

I know hosting the DB on a SQL server would be best but this is not possible.

Is there anything within Access 2010 that can be built to give users permissions?

I would like an Admin to see all and access all, yet everyone to just be able to use the forms and not access the back end tables.

What options do I have for 2010?

Thanks

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:10
You will have to build your own security and it is almost impossible to secure the BE. So, make sure the client understands that if the data is sensitive, SQL Server is really the only option.

To control the FE, you'll need a table of users. Beyond that, you need to decide how sophisticated you want to be. Are you just controlling access to forms or are you trying to control access to data? I have one app that manages a drawing log for a construction company. Everyone can see everything but only the "admin" can update the list tables we use to define what appears in the dropdown lists and the "admin" can update a log from any company but only the folks in DC can update jobs they manage and only the folks in MA can update the jobs they manage, etc. The working assumption is that no one will intentionally cause any damage. The BE is unsecured since the users are not supposed to open it directly. They work ONLY in the FE.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:10
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your help.

From the inital chat it seems they would like to stop everyone other than admin accessing/editing the back end tables.

I initially thought of splitting the DB in 2. Popping the back end tables on the Admin PC then giving everyone their own front end forms to use?

Not sure whats possible in 2010 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom