Sending 300 emails using Access 2013 (1 Viewer)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:10
I use the following function to send about 300 emails, but some of the emails fail to be delivered. Do I need to pace the sending by putting some delay between sending the emails?

John

Code:
                varDum = sendEmail(CStr(rst!strEmail), "Pay Slip", "Please find attached your Pay Slip" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Confidentiality:  This e-mail is intended for the addressees only and is confidential.  If you have received this message by mistake or are not one of the addressees, you may take no action based on it and you may not print or copy or show it to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and point out the error which has occurred and delete this e-mail from your system." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Security Warning:  Please note that this e-mail has been created knowing that internet e-mail is not a 100% secure way to communicate.  Please take this fact into account before deciding to send me a substantive reply by internet e-mail.", False, "", CStr(rst!strFileNamePDF))

Function sendEmail(strTo As String, strSubject As String, strBody As String, bEdit As Boolean, _

Optional strBCC As Variant, Optional AttachmentPath As Variant)

'Send Email using late binding to avoid reference issues

Dim objOutlook As Object

Dim objOutlookMsg As Object

Dim objOutlookRecip As Object

Dim objOutlookAttach As Object

Dim i As Integer

Const olMailItem = 0

On Error GoTo ErrorMsgs

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With objOutlookMsg

Set objOutlookRecip = .Recipients.Add(strTo)

objOutlookRecip.Type = 1

'     If Not IsMissing(strBCC) Then

'       Set objOutlookRecip = .Recipients.Add(strBCC)

'       objOutlookRecip.Type = 3

'    End If

.Subject = strSubject

.Body = strBody

.Importance = 2  'Importance Level  0=Low,1=Normal,2=High

' Add attachments to the message.

If Not IsMissing(AttachmentPath) Then

If IsArray(AttachmentPath) Then

For i = LBound(AttachmentPath) To UBound(AttachmentPath) - 1

If AttachmentPath(i) <> "" And AttachmentPath(i) <> "False" Then

Set objOutlookAttach = .Attachments.Add(AttachmentPath(i))

End If

Next i

Else

If AttachmentPath <> "" Then

Set objOutlookAttach = .Attachments.Add(AttachmentPath)

End If

End If

End If

'      For Each objOutlookRecip In .Recipients

'         If Not objOutlookRecip.Resolve Then

'            objOutlookMsg.display

'         End If

'      Next

If bEdit Then 'Choose btw transparent/silent send and preview send

.display

Else

.Send

End If

End With

Set objOutlookMsg = Nothing

Set objOutlook = Nothing

Set objOutlookRecip = Nothing

Set objOutlookAttach = Nothing

ErrorMsgs:

If Err.Number = "287" Then

MsgBox "You clicked No to the Outlook security warning. " & _

"Rerun the procedure and click Yes to access e-mail " & _

"addresses to send your message. For more information, " & _

"see the document at [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/office[/URL]" & _

"/previous/outlook/downloads/security.asp."

Exit Function

ElseIf Err.Number <> 0 Then

MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description

Exit Function

End If

End Function

Last edited by a moderator:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:10
You might be blocked by your email server with that many at one time?

Try sending in smaller blocks.?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
You might be blocked by your email server with that many at one time?

Try sending in smaller blocks.?

That was my first guess,but this sometimes happens when I send only 3 emails.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
I now logged into my Outlook and all emails were sent. Is there any chance that they got stuck in my Outbox?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Not that then. :)
I use the same process and my emails go to my Outbox and I manually then send and received (home environment) without any issues.
If they were stuck in your Outbox, I would have thought that you would know/notice that?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:10
Is there any chance that they got stuck in my Outbox?

Absolutely possible, but here is where the nature of SMTP rears its ugly head. If you say all the mails were in the Outbox, then this is one possible cause: Mail sent via SMTP or its secure equivalent will depend on an available route.

If for some reason Outlook thinks that there is no current route to the recipient, SMTP is a STORE-AND-FORWARD class of protocol. That means that the message drops back into the Outbox. Every so often, Outlook will sweep through its Outbox to see what is still pending and will attempt again to send it. The exact timing is dependent on site settings. By a pretty much world-wide standard, there will be a point somewhere around 72 hours of "no joy" where Outlook (or any other store-and-forward protocol) will toss its hands up in the air and give up. When it does that, you will receive a "Mailer Daemon" notice that will tell you that the message could not be sent. It should give you an explanation of WHY.

If you were to select the Outbox from Outlook and then trigger a "Send All" you would be able to watch as each pending message disappears for a moment and then reappears (unless, of course, it finally makes it out).

Some of this next comment depends on local settings. For typical Outlook, if you go into the Outbox and open one of the pending messages, look in the "To:" box and see if the address is underscored. Typically, Outlook contacts the target domain controller to verify existence of the named user at that domain. If it has confirmed the target, it will underscore it. If not, then either there is no such user at the domain OR the domain is not reachable at the moment. Normally, if the domain's name cannot be resolved, you get a "blowback" immediately, so if the pending message is still there, you don't have a domain naming error.

My best advice is to wait for a Mailer Daemon error and see what reason it gives for the failure.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:10
Also check to see if there is any consistency between the ones that don't go out when there is 3 or 33 or 300 or whatever.
A pause may not be a viable solution unless you are OK with clicking to start the routine and then go for coffee or something. Just a 1 second pause would add 5 minutes to 300 emails; a half second might not be enough of a lag if that was the problem. In the end, it may not be the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to experiment if you can accept the added time.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
I switched to the following code for sending the emails. If I break the code after every send (SendEmail4) there is no problem. If I send them with no delay they are not sent.

Will try to put a 3 second delay after each send. Can afford the delay.

Call SendEmail4(CStr(rst!strEmail), CStr(rst!strFileNamePDF))

Private Sub SendEmail4(strTo As String, strAttachment As String)
Dim olApp As Object
Dim olMail As Object

On Error GoTo ErrorH

'Creates the memory for email objects
Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set olMail = olApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
'Generates email information
With olMail
.BodyFormat = olFormatPlain

.To = strTo
.cc = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "Pay Slp"
.Body = "This is the body" '
.Attachments.Add strAttachment, olByValue, 1, "Test"
'.display
.Send
End With

Set olMail = Nothing
Set olApp = Nothing

EndCode:

Exit Sub

'Error handler to display error infor in message box, resumes end code
'Change is you want/need this to handle specific error numbers
ErrorH:
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
Resume EndCode

End Sub

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You create the objects, send an email then destroy the objects 300 times (or so) in a session?
If you do raise an error, the cleanup isn't done.

P.S. Please use code tags (post toolbar) with proper indentation for more than a few lines of code.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
You create the objects, send an email then destroy the objects 300 times (or so) in a session?
If you do raise an error, the cleanup isn't done.

P.S. Please use code tags (post toolbar) with proper indentation for more than a few lines of code.

Thanks for your comment.
The cleanup is done after

Call SendEmail4(CStr(rst!strEmail), CStr(rst!strFileNamePDF))

and is not indicated above

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You could try sending emails direct from Access using CDO

Whilst it will still be subject to bulk email limits, the process may be more efficient than what you are doing now

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
You could try sending emails direct from Access using CDO

Whilst it will still be subject to bulk email limits, the process may be more efficient than what you are doing now

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the code. Could not make it work, please see attachment

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 at 16-35-22.png
    2020-05-08 at 16-35-22.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 561

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Click the Help button. The Help file explains the various errors that occur when your email settings are incorrect and how to fix them. That error is listed with the fix.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
and is not indicated above
It sure is:
Set olMail = Nothing
Set olApp = Nothing

Here's the order of events as I see it:
Call the sub
define and set (create) the objects
add values to message object properties
Send
clean up (Set objects to Nothing)
End Sub

Now what, call the sub 299 more times from your other procedure? If not, then I don't know what you mean when you say you're sending 300 emails. If yes, then it is as I said. Regardless, as mentioned, if your sub errors the clean up doesn't happen anyway.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:10
I note that you are regenerating a new Outlook object every time you call that routine. However, you don't cause Outlook to close. When you create an Outlook Application Object you attempt to create a new instance of Outlook. However, it is possible that your second CreateObject fails because the first copy of Outlook is still running. See, for example,

Outlook will not allow you to open it twice on the same system, unlike Excel which is perfectly happy to run as many times as you open it. When you set your object variables to "Nothing" you let go of the link between your app and the external object, but it is still out there in memory because you created an external task. Releasing the pointers does not close the external task.

Personally, I would open Outlook externally to this routine and pass in an object variable for it. Then just create each mail message, send it, and when you exit the subroutine, if you have more to send you just keep on calling the subroutine inside a loop. Then when the loop is over, you can command Outlook to exit (actually, quit) - THEN reset the object variables to Nothing. Should go faster because you wouldn't be"churning" the system so much. And it would take that part of the problem out of the question of why you weren't sending as many messages as you thought.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Outlook will not allow you to open it twice on the same system,
I think you've said that before, but this time I decided to suggest that it isn't true - at least not always. I've done it accidentally before - a few times.
OL1.jpg

OL2.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have had two instances running myself at times, though not opened via code.?
Still good advice I would have thought.?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Doc
I agree with the previous comments. You can definitely open more than one copy of Outlook at once.

What you can't do is have two different versions of Outlook installed on the same PC.
I have both Office 2010 & 365 installed on this PC and have two versions of Access, Word, Excel etc but it won't let you do that with Outlook

@JohnPapa
Have you looked at the CDO help file yet. This is the relevant part:

1589019338803.png

You need to swop your SendUsing setting from 1 to 2 (or vice versa)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
The initial goal was to send 311 emails with one PDF attachment from within an Access 2013 program, using VBA. Each PDF attachment ranges from 400K to 800K.
1) I tried sending the emails with a 3 second delay and we received word that some of the emails were not delivered.
2) I then tried to break after each sending of every email (311 times) and had to press return for the program to send the next email. I waited for several seconds. I do not know the outcome.
3) If 2) above does not work, is it worth inserting say a 10-15 second delay between sending emails? The subsequent time delay is not a problem, since this will be done once every month. The emails relate to Payroll data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom