session timeout (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 05:20
does anyone know what the timeout is for the session vars on this site? It seems like even if I'm idle for 10 minutes, I have to log back in.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:20
i can go months without having to log back in. I wonder if it's a browser setting?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:20
Ditto. I stay permanently logged in … but 'invisible'

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I use chrome and have New posts in my bookmarks bar and just click to get them each time.?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Correct. Only have to log in once in awhile, I think when cookies get cleared.
well i've searched thru chrome's settings and nothing is off. cookies r not being cleared at any time, even when closing the browser. but how can this be a browser issue anyway? cookies are issued by websites.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:20
cookies are issued by websites.

But browsers can be set not to allow them. In any case, I was just speculating, I don't know the answer.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
hey you guys,

does anyone think that this timeout issue could be related to the fact that I'm logged in here many times on my mobile phone's hotspot?

I also get this stupid issue with my bank whereby when logging into online banking, almost everytime those idiots want to send a verification code to my phone cuz they don't recognize the device. it does not matter how many times i press that stupid "register device" button after entering the code. the low level agents claim it's an issue with me clearing cookies, but just like this website's issue the cookies are never cleared. I have a suspicion it's their website's code not thinking US Cellular's IP address associated with hotspots are valid or something. As far as I know, that IP address doesn't change.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would have thought that if you were 'attached' to another hotspot, that ip address would change.?

I only logon from PCs, two devices in the house and one in office, so never have the problem after initially logging in?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I would have thought that if you were 'attached' to another hotspot, that ip address would change.?
as far as I know, the ip never changes. I assume the hotspot ip address comes from a cell tower? everytime I've checked the geo location database ip address of my page visits via PHP code, the address has always been the same.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I was at the library on a wi fi all day long today and not once did I time out on this website, and there were times that I was idle for 30 minutes or more. Now I'm back home on the hotspot again and sure as hell, the timeout has started happening again!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't discuss hand-held logins, but on the PC if you are using Windows 10, that also has a setting that involves how long you can stay on. I found it once, set it, and forgot about it. AND forgot about where I found it.

I'm having e-mail issues from my browser (Firefox) and apparently the inability to follow e-mail hyperlinks is a known issue with Win10 also. If you are NOT on Win10, then I'm dashed if I know what could do it. But I have seen that phantom logout happen even on an XP system. On the other hand, some of my logins have lasted quite a long time.

Just to rule some things out: The phenomenon is NOT related to the "disallow third-pary cookies" setting. (I've experimented with that one.) It is NOT related to whether you allow the browser to remember your password for the site. (I have NEVER allowed that.)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Can't discuss hand-held logins, but on the PC if you are using Windows 10, that also has a setting that involves how long you can stay on. I found it once, set it, and forgot about it. AND forgot about where I found it.
i'm on win7

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
update:

my mobile carrier, us cellular, only has one suspicion as to what could be causing this problem. After I use a certain amount of mobile data, my connection speed slows down a bit, and when it does the subsequent connection is said to be "throttled". So their guess is that this phenomenon is causing the session timeout to happen, although I'm not convinced. I've been on plenty of slow internet connections via ISPs over the years and I've never experienced this timeout thing happening.

But through a speed test conducted by google, after a google search for "speed test", it shows my current download speed at .12 mbps and upload speed of .73 mpbs. That is insanely slow, but none the less I can still access webpages with little trouble and even stream videos online with limited buffering.

So I guess I'm stuck dealing with it, since there are no other ideas.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
While I understand throttling, I don't see that as related to logging you out. To be honest, I would have, at first guess, said it was a cookie problem since web connections are not actually continuous. There is no "keep-alive" or "heartbeat" signal with HTTP or HTTPS. Are you using a VPN? Because what rides the VPN won't have a heartbeat, but the VPN itself might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom