session timeout (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 17:40
workaround

Richard,

The workaround to this is to just stay on the "whos online" page. It automatically refreshes like every minute or so. But I have noticed that I've been logged out after several hours of being on this page without any performing any transactions.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Using Firefox, I do not have this problem. Other folks also claim to not have the problem. It is going to be one of your settings and I've run through my list of "usual suspects" on this one with no success. I don't know where to go with this.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Using Firefox, I do not have this problem. Other folks also claim to not have the problem.
Richard,

I am now using firefox to view this forum and I haven't been logged out yet after 4 hours of inactivity just sitting on the CP page. so apparently you are right.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, it narrows down the number of places to look, doesn't it?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

I have been logged into this forum for 4 days now on firefox and have never been timed out, even with 8 hours of inactivity overnight while I'm sleeping. so chrome must have been the problem, although I have yet to figure out what is wrong with it. google searches have turned up nothing on the issue.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My Win10 system re-image came with Chrome installed. First thing I did was download Firefox. Second thing was uninstall Chrome and make Firefox my default browser. I'm used to Firefox. Third thing I did was take steps to prevent Edge from ever again becoming my default browser.

I discovered that can be problematic as the damned thing is insidious. Microsoft goes to great lengths to push Edge on you. However, I looked up ways to push back. Once I got past a couple of hiccups, all was well with the world.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

I've noticed a few other things on my system when using firefox and chrome:

1) I always have multiple tabs open in firefox and chrome, and both browsers are open at the same. However, if I don't bring firefox's window to the foreground within like 1 hour from the last time I brought it to the foreground, when clicking on it, it takes like 2 minutes to appear in the foreground again and is mostly unresponsive for that 2 minutes.

2) This unresponsiveness of firefox never happens with chrome no matter how much time has gone by since I last brought its window to the foreground.

3) Quite often (on many different websites, including this forum), in chrome I'll get a "page unresponsive" dialog box and this usually happens when the page I'm trying to load requires a vertical scrollbar due to the large amount of content it has to display. I never get this message in firefox, even if the page takes forever to load. The page just takes forever to load and the progress indicator "blue dot" that moves back and forth at the top of the tab freezes.

4) In firefox I have never gotten a "waiting for cache" message in the progress bar at the bottom of the browser window. This happens all the time in chrome.

I have the latest software versions for both FF and CHR so I'm not sure why stuff like this goes on, but I do play apple music songs on my laptop all day long while I'm browsing and I only have win 7 and 2GB of RAM so i guess that be causing a lot of issues too.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I cannot address issues with Chrome other than that I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Matter of personal tastes, no doubt.

However, I can tell you that with only 2 GB of RAM, Windows doesn't like you very much. The problem is, of course, that Windows has become a virtual demand-paging system (ever since WinNT came around). There is a common factor for ALL (repeat and emphasize ALL) virtual demand systems - low memory just KILLS their performance. Flat out KILLS them. It was true for WinNT and is still true for Win10. Heck, my OpenVMS machine for the Navy didn't like low-memory situations and they damned near invented the virtual, demand-page, least-recently-used retirment system in the 1970s.

There is an old adage related to virtual, demand-page systems: When the system swaps, the world stops. This is true because the memory management software is seen as higher priority than almost any other software you might have.

Usually, when the swap/page manager is running, it outranks every other piece of software you've got unless you have some home-grown real-time code that is non-swappable. Device drivers have these attributes. Certain laboratory experiment packages do this. Most user code does not.

Further, if you boost the priority of your code over the swap code, it won't help if you need to swap - because you will trigger a page fault, enter an involuntary wait state, and wait for memory management anyway. I can't tell you what to do, but I can remotely diagnose that if you only have 2 GB of RAM, you are probably going to continually face issues with low memory leading to paging delays.

Just for snorts and giggles, if you weren't up on paging, here is a reference article that is a decent overview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
hey Doc,

I might indeed have to get more RAM or another machine with a newer OS because I got a message today for the 1st time ever that suggested I'm running a bit low:

"There is not enough available memory to run PDFFiller". I had these desktop apps open when I got this message:
  • iTunes
  • Chrome
  • FF
  • Eclipse PHP IDE
  • Filezilla
  • Outlook
Those IDEs sure take up a lot of memory! Visual Studio is even worse than Eclipse! I have Dreamweaver and Python as well and DW is another hog. But then again, Adobe's software has always been huge. But I think the biggest memory hog I have installed is that Android studio IDE. That is bigger than any Adobe product I believe. :rolleyes:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:40
I've had memory issues as well (with the computer too ;) ). I looked in Task Manager and was surprised to see how much Chrome was using, plus there were several instances of it. Probably one per open tab or something like that. It made me more careful about closing tabs I didn't need at the time.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I looked in Task Manager and was surprised to see how much Chrome was using, plus there were several instances of it
chrome *does* use a memory thread for every tab that is open, but then again so does FF nowadays. I don't think FF started out doing that though. chrome starts either 3 or 4 memory threads just to start the damn browser with one tab even! At least the last time I checked that was the case.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:40
I've had memory issues as well (with the computer too ;) ). I looked in Task Manager and was surprised to see how much Chrome was using, plus there were several instances of it. Probably one per open tab or something like that. It made me more careful about closing tabs I didn't need at the time.

I *think* it is one process for each addin as well as one for each tab.?
I only have one tab open, but 4 processes, as I have 3 addins running.?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:40
I'm sure you guys are right. At this moment FF is open with 6 tabs. There are 8 instances in Task Manager using close to 600MB of memory. 3 open Teamviewer sessions are burning up a half a gig too, but only 1 instance in TM. My old Alienware laptop is feeling strained!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suspect there is also the matter of whether you agree to allow your browser to send feedback to their central site.

Adam, one VERY minor correction. Yes, IDEs tend to be big. But the biggest memory hog of all of them is Windows itself, based on how many services are running. Which is why I usually try to identify services I don't use much and reset them to "manual" startup. If the service is never requested and is on Manual, it never starts.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Doc,

I've only got system critical processes running in the background. I've been running on minimum process threads for as long as i can remember.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I'm sure you guys are right. At this moment FF is open with 6 tabs. There are 8 instances in Task Manager using close to 600MB of memory.
I have no doubt that my computer's frozen screen are a result of all these tabs open in both browsers! :rolleyes: Not to mention that you can see that iTunes and Outlook are also open.

<edit>
check out the number of chrome processes I've got goin on Richard! :D

Attachments

• chrome windows open.jpg
    chrome windows open.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ff windows open.jpg
    ff windows open.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 99
  • a million chrome processes.jpg
    a million chrome processes.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
hey doc,

Lately I've been getting this crap too, while viewing who's online....and in firefox no less

Attachments

• ff tab crash.jpg
    ff tab crash.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 102

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No advice on Chrome. I don't use it.

However, there are some settings having to do with what happens when you follow a link in a particular way. When you click on a link, do you LEFT click, or do you RIGHT click and then do an "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window"? Because the latter two options are sure to leave a connection open. Whereas the LEFT click depends on a browser setting as to whether it does or doesn't open a new window.

If you don't close the window you left behind, I would expect to see some leftover processes. If you are using HTTPS or any other secure connection method, you will consume two processes (minimum) per session because each secure connection requires a "broker" task to do encryption or decryption.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well it's funny u mention the right click left click thing. I ALWAYS right click and open in new tab. for all browsers I use. but funny thing....once again a stupid chrome issue:

i have the setting in chrome to where links are to open in new tabs even when i left click on them. however, left clicking keeps me in the same tab. i have this set in ff as well, so I have no idea why I always right click and open in new tab with ff. just habit.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But that explains why you have so many processes open. You don't close the windows. If ANYTHING on that page is animated, it keeps the process that is periodically updating that page and gives you a new one. You are proliferating processes base on page habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom