Sharing DB on Network Multiple Users (1 Viewer)

Marbinski

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:57
I have read previous posts but still am a lil confused on my current set-up.

I have a Database that is placed in a network shared folder.
For this folder we have a user group who only have "Read" access and we have a user group that has "Update" access to that folder.

We are only letting certain users have the ability to change data in the database and everyone else will have the ability to just read the data.

My Database setup:
I have set the advanced tab of the database options to
Default open mode: SHARED
Default record locking: NO LOCKS
Open databases using record level locking: CHECKED
I am using Access 2000.

Example scenario:
I am in the group with "update" access. But if another user (that has read or update permission) on the network is in the database, the database opens as a read-only file. Should I set the database settings differently in order to fix this? If so what should I do?

Any suggestions would be great.....Thanks in advance.

Kempes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:57
Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for but I have a db that gives every individual user there own User Name and password, controlled by the administator.

To do this you need to create a workgroup file (See access help for info). You then need to create a shortcut to your database via msaccess.exe and the new workgroup file. Create the user names, grant them access to different user levels, give them individual passwords (Tools/security).
Any user can then access the database at any time and it will only allow them to do the things you have set the User or group priviledges to do.

For example, User: Bugs Bunny: Group: Level 3: Can only view data and not edit.

Please note: each user will need to gain entry to your db via the shortcut as it incorporates the workgroup file within the path.

Marbinski

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:57
I am going to test the suggested implemention. But I am still trying to figure out why at the network level, MS Access does this?

Thanks for you help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:57
Jet uses the .ldb file to manage sharing by multiple users. If the first person to open the db does not have sufficient network permissions for Jet to create the .ldb file, the db will be opened in exclusive mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom