Shift Mode does not Maximize MS Access (1 Viewer)

ions

Access User
Local time
Today, 06:44
Hello MS Access Expert,

When I open an .accdb file using shift mode it does not Maximize on my screen. It merely appears in my Taskbar and then I have to click it to maximize it on my screen. The peculiar aspect is that if the file is Not in a folder but rather on my desktop it always maximizes in Shift Mode. Why is MS Access behaving like this?

I am running MS Access 2019 and Windows 10

Thank you

1702058269433.png

ions

Access User
Local time
Hello MS Access Expert,

I observed that if the Folder is not maximized, MS Access opens maximized in shift mode. If the folder is maximized then MS Access only opens in the taskbar. I have attached a video to demonstrate this behavior.

Does this occur on everyone's machine? I am using MS Access 2019 not Office 365.

1702934062443.png

Attachments

• Shift Behavior.zip
    705.4 KB · Views: 46

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:44
I can't replicate this using Access 365 v2401
The fact that nobody answered your first post suggests that nobody else has experienced it either.
Do you get the same issue with other Office apps such as Excel?
Suggest you do a full Office repair

ions

Access User
Local time
Thanks for your response isladogs. This only occurs if I hold down SHIFT with MS Access. If I open without holding SHIFT, MS Access opens maximized.

Since there is no SHIFT mode with MS Excel I cannot test this behavior with Excel.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK but as stated I cannot replicate the issue & I've heard no other reports of it in any of the forums I'm involved with nor in the MVP email group.
I may be wrong but I suspect its unique to your workstation.

Just a thought - have you assigned the shift key to minimize your app(s) in an autokeys macro? Almost certainly not as you say its OK run from the desktop ...but is that running the file from the desktop or from a shortcut set to run maximized?
Otherwise, try an Office repair

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:44
The fact that nobody answered your first post suggests that nobody else has experienced it either.
I have. I'm used to it and others MAY not care about it or MAY not have noticed. Or as you said, it's something that occurs in specific situations.
I have a three monitor set up. When I open a database normally, Access opens maximized on the last monitor it was closed.
BUT:
If I have all instances of Access closed, And I have any app window maximized on that monitor, shift double click of a database won't maximize Access. It goes behind the already maximized app and into the taskbar. I have to activate it from taskbar. After selecting Access from taskbar, it's maximized. It means it was maximized, but behind other Apps.
I tested this a while back on 6 PCs to see if it's only my PC, but all behaved the same.

I don't know why you can not replicate it or maybe there's something wrong with our set up.
Try once more this way:
  1. Pin Microsoft Access to your taskbar.
  2. Open any app you want, and maximize it to fill all your screen. If you have multiple monitors, do it on all your monitors.
  3. Right click Access icon in your taskbar, press your shift key, and left click any database you want. Preferably a database with an Autoexec or some vba code in startup process.

Do you have it maximized?

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Are you opening an accdb directly, or using a shortcut?

Does this happen with any accdb, or one specific accdb?

Have you tried the iconic, "Turn it off and back on again" troubleshooting step for this computer?

Like Colin, this strikes me as more related to Windows than Access.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Do you have it maximized?

That is a slightly different scenario to what the OP described

However, in answer to your question...
Yes I do . . . but its behind the currently maximized app (in this case Excel) so it may seem to be only open minimized on the taskbar.
Minimize or close the other app and the Access app can be seen to be maximized
Note that I followed your instructions to the letter before responding and repeated it to be absolutely certain.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:44
Yes I do . . . but its behind the currently maximized app
I corrected my post and explained it to prevent misunderstanding. But it seems you had read my post earlier and didn't noticed.
Yes, as I corrected above, it's maximized, but behind other Apps.

Thanks for testing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No i hadn't seen your edit as, looking at the times, it was edited after I replied.
As stated, that's appears to be a different scenario to that described by the OP which I cannot replicate.

ions

Access User
Local time
I asked a colleague and he confirmed he is experiencing the same behavior, MS Access not maximizing in Shift mode, on his machine.

He also confirmed another behavior that is happening on his MS Office 64 bit machine. MS Access is randomly opening slowly. See attached video. I think this behavior started on my machine about 8 months ago. Prior to that MS Access was working fine.

Below are the specs for Windows and MS Access

1703004619164.png

1703004679936.png

Attachments

• MS Access opening slowly in Shift Mode.zip
    549.8 KB · Views: 36

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 15:44
MS Access opens maximized in shift mode. If the folder is maximized then MS Access only opens in the taskbar.
If you leave Access untouched and only minimize the folder window after opening it, is Access not visible?

ions

Access User
Local time
If you leave Access untouched and only minimize the folder window after opening it, is Access not visible?
Yes it is. It is maximized. Nice inquiry Josef.

MS Access is maximized when the Folder is maximized it’s just not getting the Focus.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes it is. It is maximized. Nice inquiry Josef.

MS Access is maximized when the Folder is maximized it’s just not getting the Focus.

In that case, perhaps it is much the same point as @KitaYama mentioned
Similar behaviour occurs in many other situations. e.g. opening a mail merge document in Word from Access.
Its a Windows issue rather than Access specific

ions

Access User
Local time
Yes, it appears to be a Windows issue then. Is anybody else experiencing the slow open phenomena as well. See attached.

Thank you

Attachments

• MS Access opening slowly in Shift Mode.zip
    549.8 KB · Views: 38

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I had mine doing that, just after I installed an SSD in place of the hard disk. Coincidence I believed. I found double clicking the dB was a quicker method.
However, that recently changed and Access opens very quickly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom