showing name instead of ID number (1 Viewer)

AlexB1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:56
iv been using a combo box to show the name of a customer instead of there customer ID in a query...this one has worked fine...

however the second time iv done it for there quad name its left the record black....iv checked over what iv done again and again and can find no difference....now im a bit stumped...

there is also no difference in the relationship (that i know of)

the data the combo boxes are using is coming from a query which is combining data from multiple tables and combining the first name and surname together

im then trying to have the combined name displayed in the combo box instead of the ID number

any suggestions ??

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
Today, 09:56
iv been using a combo box to show the name of a customer instead of there customer ID in a query.

I'm a little confused since a query cannot have a combo box. Out of curiosity do you have a combo box in one of the tables referenced in the query? If so that can cause some issues as described here. Combo and list boxes should only be used on forms.

You can adjust what is seen in a combo box by using the column widths property of the combo box. Set it to 0 for those fields you do not want the user to see, set it to a non-zero number for those you do want the user to see.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
If it is on a Form all you have to do is to make the column length with the ID to Zero '0'.

Simon

AlexB1

Registered User.
Local time
sorry, the combo box im meaning is the lookup tab on query properties,

display control is set to combo box
row source type = table/query
row source = customer EXTENDED (a query)

i got the idea while looking at the northwind database....

Last edited:

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
OK, I've never used a combo box as part of a query, so I'm not sure what formatting properties are available. I use the regular format and just would bring in the fields I want directly.

AlexB1

Registered User.
Local time
i dont understand why its worked with the customer id but is giving me errors with the quad id...nobody used this before ?

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
I'm not sure what you mean by quad name and ID. Any chance you can zip and post your database? Make sure to remove any sensitive info & please provide the name of the query that is giving you problems.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:56
You should not be using lookups at table/query level. USE THEM ON FORMS ONLY! Then in queries you just include the table that the lookup would be using and display that field instead of the ID field.

AlexB1

Registered User.
Local time
You should not be using lookups at table/query level. USE THEM ON FORMS ONLY! Then in queries you just include the table that the lookup would be using and display that field instead of the ID field.

ok ill do that, im new to access so just trying to experiment with features :p

thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom