Simple web front end for access database (1 Viewer)

robsant

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:08
Hi,

I have created a relatively simple access 2010 split database, for managing production and stock control using simple £35 Bluetooth barcode scanners so the users don't have to type the barcode number. It seems to work ok at the moment.

I want one user to enter some information on a mobile device within the wifi network. I will probably add a usb barcode scanner or similar to the mobile device, or get a device with one built in. What is the simplest way for me to write a simple web form that interfaces with the access backend database. Also what software would anyone recommend I use to write the web form ?

The form would probably only need 5 or so fields and a couple of lookups.

Many thanks,

Rob

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 21:08
The path of least resistance/effort for one single user would IMHO be to set up a computer for that user on the LAN, run Access on it, and then the user can access it through some Remote Desktop application like WIndows RempteDesktop or Logmein, VNC, uVNC, TeamViewer ...depending on OS on the mobile device. Hence no web server/web pages necessary.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:08
@spikepl
This is a solution not an answer to the original question.
This is not a criticism and I don't wish that you see my post as one.
I say this only because I am too very interested in finding a solution that solve the original question.

Thank you for understanding.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
@mihail

I don't take it as criticism.

If OP needs to ask this question, then the effort to achieve what OP wants the way OP wants is significant compared to my solution. Web solution requires a webserver and then a script: eg. ASP, PHP or .NET (or other) that puts the data into the dd. For an experienced person this is a job for a couple of hours, for an inexperienced one a week or two, if this is a first "offence" :D

My solution takes a few minutes.

robsant

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure the remote desktop option would quite fit for us, even though I can see it would certainly be the quickest and easiest.

I have done a little more research since my original post.

I think I have now found out the following, but please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Ideally I need to change from an access database to sql server or similar. This would mean less likely to get corruptions with wifi and more options on a front end.

2) I could keep the access front end, so we wouldn't have to change that, and if we did, only a few tweeks.

3) Write a web front end using visual studio . net / asp.

4) using the above we could also write front ends for dedicated handhelds i.e. barcode scanners using windows mobile os, as the system expands and grows.

I assume that using more than one front end i.e. access, web, windows mobile. wouldn't be an issue??

Am I heading in the right direction? or is there a better approach?

Thanks,

Rob

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:08
1) Converting to SQL server is trivial if you have designed the app using client/server techniques. If you have used old style Access techniques, you have some work ahead of you. At a minimum, you'll need to change your forms to use queries with criteria that limit the rows and columns returned. Having Access ask the server for an entire table will make your app slower rather than faster.
2) Keeping the Access FE is the best solution unless you have money to burn.
3) Why would you do this if you are keeping the Access FE?
4) That would be fine.

Multiple FE's are fine. However, you will probably need to move some of your business rules to triggers in SQL Server rather then embedding them in forms or web apps.

robsant

Registered User.
Local time
Hi pat,

Thanks for your reply.

The only reason I considered number 3 is that I thought it may be cheaper initially on hardware rather than having to buy dedicated barcode scanners and go to option 4.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Your postings progressed from a mobile requirement for one person to something not defined for us outsiders. And now you mentioned windows mobile ... scanners (plural) etc etc. What is so unique about your requirements that a proven commercial supported and documented system is not considered? Homemade development is significantly more expensive than people realize, once ALL costs have been accounted for.

I actually do not care about the answer one way or another. My point is that sometimes development takes of and continues way beyond the point where it makes any sense, because of the oft-used but nonsensical argument "we have already spent so much on this" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom