Skiing In Canada (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Hayley Baxter said:
Sounds like a fun trip Groundrush. I've never experienced ski-ing before but I am about to in the near future. Work are taking us away for a few days for an all paid ski-ing trip to Switzerland.......should be fun, I just hope I come back in one piece....:p I imagine ski-ing is not the easiest to pick up, how did you find it? Prepare me for what I am about to go through!!! :eek:

Hay

Go for snowboarding instead Hayley, it's easier to pick up and the injuries are far less harmful ;)

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Not something I've ever had the urge to do - I'll cheer you on from here Ground:D ;)

I went up a snowy mountain once in New Zealand, I have to say it was really clear and remarkably silent. We sat at the top, had a cup of tea then froze to death (I only had a denim jacket on:rolleyes: ) It was an experience worth doing though but couldn't get over the absolute silence and solitude.

Col
and clean air ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:50
Rich said:
and clean air ;)
yes that too, although I did have a fag up there I recall:rolleyes:

I'm desperately trying to remember the name of the mountain:rolleyes:

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
yes that too, although I did have a fag up there I recall:rolleyes:
Col

I'm told there are some mountain resorts in America that have banned smoking on the mountains :rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
I'm told there are some mountain resorts in America that have banned smoking on the mountains :rolleyes:
Why?

isn't it banned even walking along the streets in the USA?

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Why?

isn't it banned even walking along the streets in the USA?

Col
far too dangerous, apparently, of course it's ok to carry a gun :rolleyes:
one assumes the gun's to shoot anyone found smoking ;)

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Go for snowboarding instead Hayley, it's easier to pick up and the injuries are far less harmful ;)

In that case it's definately got to be ski-ing. I like a challenge as opposed to taking the easy way out :cool: I'm also used to pain.....:eek: you should know that seeing as you are aware that I watch Gers every week......;)

Hay

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Best of luck and don't forget your insurance ;)

Cheers thanks Rich!

Don't forget my remembrance thread if I don't live to tell the tale........:p

Hay

R

Rich

Hayley Baxter said:
Cheers thanks Rich!

Don't forget my remembrance thread if I don't live to tell the tale........:p

Hay
stay away from the blacks and you'll be o.k. :D

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:50
Groundrush said:
Going to Canada for two weeks at the end of this month

1 week Mont Tromblont & 1 week in Quebec

I was just at Mt. Tremblant this past Thursday. Wasn't too cold...

SHADOW

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
How did the trip go Groundrush?

I was just reading this thread again this morning and wondered whether you would be back yet and how you got on.

Hope you had a good time....so erm anymore funny stories to tell :p

Hay

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Are you getting nervous Hayley ? :eek: :D

Nah not at all Rich, I'm used to making a fool of myself anyway so what the hell :D :cool:

As long as I don't suffer any broken bones I'll be quite happy :eek:

Hay

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Hayley Baxter said:
How did the trip go Groundrush?

I was just reading this thread again this morning and wondered whether you would be back yet and how you got on.

Hope you had a good time....so erm anymore funny stories to tell :p

Hay

Thanks Hayley we both had a wonderful time - such a winter wonderland - never seen so much snow!
The only problem we had apart from the 3 hour delay at the airport was the fact that British Airways lost my wife’s luggage for the first week of our trip, we only got it back when we were leaving for our second part of our stay & we only got £35 compensation...:mad:

MONT TREMBLANT (first week)

The temperature averaged about -5C so wasn't too cold at all in first week - the 2nd week in Quebec was a different story.:eek:

Mont Tremblant was a great place to ski - good weather - mostly white skies with snowfalls each day,
Ski school was fun (only 3 in our group - myself, my wife & another woman)

The dog sledding was such fun in Mt Tremblant - went right out into the country and had 6 husky dogs transporting us - mad dogs - one in particular seemed to like running on his hind legs whilst pooing..:D - most peculiar (obviously my favourite!)

We did an hour dog sledding, an hour ice fishing and then another hour back -I caught 1 fish and my wife caught 3..:p
The instructor (whose farm we were on) – told me that if I was ever in the wilderness that I make sure that I bring my wife otherwise I would starve.:D

The Scandinavian Spa in Mt Tremblant was wonderful too - outside hot Jacuzzis and cold pools, plus steam rooms/saunas
relaxation areas - odd being in a hot tub outside when snowing! And then had a massage ...:cool:

QUEBEC CITY

Quebec City is a wonderfully, romantic looking city with a beautiful location surrounded by St Lawrence River and Laurentide mountains. We stayed in the Chateau Frontenac - most photographed hotel in the world - built like a castle naturally and can be seen from most anywhere in the City. The first night we arrived it was too late after the parade to get dinner in the lounge so ordered room service - pizza/chips/2 beers - nothing fancy - this waiter turned up with a portable table cutlery plates, glasses the works and put the table by the window - thought he was going to decant the beer at one point
and best bit was we only ordered 1 pizza between us - he said I believe your sharing this pizza! So funny couldn't stop. He must have thought we had spent all our money on the room & could not afford a decent meal. :D
It's a very prestigious hotel - Winston Churchill and Roosevelt & Canadian governor met during World War Two for signing of certain declarations etc.
We were actually upgraded to river view when arrived so quite fortunate - the rooms aren't big but adequate - obviously the more you pay the more you get. Apparently Mick Jagger stays in QC frequently and books entire floor where Presidential Suites are.

Carnival - canoe race, winter parade, horse sleigh races, ice sculptor competitions

One day in Quebec it rained and we got drenched in our jeans when we went to the Canoe race and wet jeans and -C temps don't go - I froze for about 3hrs - but great fun and local bloke guided us to the race (as we got lost) and then took us on a bit of a walking tour and back to his local cafe where he bought us coffee!!

The winter parade (part of the Carnival) - was interesting - think these people are mad standing around for 3hrs in cold to watch floats' - passed my mouth a few times - and warmed up with a Tim Horton’s hot choc and donut after (as teasing me across the street as I stood in the cold for ever!!) Lovely donuts.

On the last Saturday we watched horse sleigh races on the main Carnival Site (Plains of Abraham) - that was fun to watch - one cart turned over right in front of us and dragged driver along for quite a way - all fine.

There are ice sculptors everywhere - even outside cafes/restaurants depicting the theme of there establishment - and huge carvings on the Carnival Site where they are entered into a competition and all countries around the world participate for grading. I liked the one carved out by Tunisia - herd of camels on a trek.

Took a walking tour around the city 2.5hrs and that day it was -9C (-19C with wind-chill) - so very cold - there were only 3 of us - woman from South Africa joined us - she looked cold to death - I was quite warm in my ski wear but standing around at times whilst the guide filled us in on historical pointers was a bit nippy - thoroughly enjoyed it however and told him what we had done and seen so far ie. that morning been on ferry across River Lawrence to get good views and here ice cracking underneath, up the Observations Tower for great views and restaurants, cafes and other sites we'd seen - he was very impressed and said we 'Travelled Well' - as you can imagine my wife was touched as she did all the research for the hols and for a local to say that and that he appreciates people like us was very pleasing!

Ice Hotel

The ice hotel was an experience - did an excursion out there and saw the wedding chapel - very cute
and some of the beds in main hotel are works of art (temple theme, orient, honeymoon suite, round bed etc.)
The ice bar was cool - with ice glasses - you could have all sorts of vodka shots - but didn't feel like
it at 11am in the morning. The N'ICE Club looks great too with a little stage, nooks to sit in and strobe lighting.

Got tonnes of photo's I'll try & post a few when I get some time.

...:)

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like you had a lovely time Groundrush, I enjoyed just reading about it, although it still wasn't nearly as good as your last story..that gave me a good chuckle :D

I guess your ski-ing experience was much better this time ie you didn't nearly kill anyone on the way down the slope (yourself included :p ) You must be a Pro now after your lessons ;)

The dog sledding does sound a lot of fun, I almost want to try it myself now :cool:

It would be super to see some of your pics :)

Hay

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Hayley Baxter said:
Sounds like you had a lovely time Groundrush, I enjoyed just reading about it, although it still wasn't nearly as good as your last story..that gave me a good chuckle :D

I guess your skiing experience was much better this time ie you didn't nearly kill anyone on the way down the slope (yourself included :p ) You must be a Pro now after your lessons ;)

The dog sledding does sound a lot of fun, I almost want to try it myself now :cool:

It would be super to see some of your pics :)

Hay

..:D

It is much easier to ski on snow. I did seem to pick it up quicker than most beginners but I think that's down to the fact that when I was a kid I used to skateboard, Ice & roller skate, so I guess I did have an unfair advantage.

I stayed in the beginners class though so I could ski with my wife but during the last hour of each lessson the instructor took me on a few runs for the more expierenced skiiers & was soon put in my place.

I did fall a few times but strange as it seems it was mainly when you least expected it, like just standing around or not going very fast.

I'll get some pics soon, got some good ones of the dog sledding.

...:)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Groundrush said:
I did fall a few times but strange as it seems it was mainly when you least expected it, like just standing around . . . . . . . . . . .
we've all been there:rolleyes: one minute your stood at the bar, the next you're on the deck. . . . . . . . . ;)

Col

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
we've all been there:rolleyes: one minute your stood at the bar, the next you're on the deck. . . . . . . . . ;)

Col

Yeah...you soon learn that it's not safe to blimp a girl that has a 6.5ft boyfriend...:eek:

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Where are all the pictures you promised us Groundrush? :(

I'm just back from my little trip with work and I really enjoyed it. Seeing I was in the beginners group we obviously had a lesson booked morning and afternoon but I didn't really last too long in the lesson as it was much easier to pick up that I expected.

I decided to try out the next slope along with two of my colleagues and we were all doing very well.....that was until I picked up a little bit too much speed and fell :p Trying to get back up again was a very difficult task!

As it was only a weekend away we only really had one day of ski-ing or in my case a morning of ski-ing as I decided to give the afternoon session a miss, mainly due to the fact that I was really sore and tired, I'm not sure if that was due to all the excitement or just the fact that I am plain unfit these days or perhaps it was me just falling over too much :p No seriously to be fair I didn't fall that much and was quite pleased with my efforts. If you consider that fact that I was struggling to even put the Ski boots on in the morning and actually walk in them let alone Ski :p I would definately do it again, it was amazing :)

Hay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom