Skills to build in 2023 (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:08
After starting my thread about drawing, it made me think of a good question for people here. What skills do you want to build in 2023? With a new year approaching, it is often a good time to plan.

For me, I am working on my React programming skills, my chess strength, my drawing, learning Tagalog (Philippines language), and probably quite a few other things yet to be decided.

What is on your agenda?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:08
I just saw this thread and didn't even know there was a thread about drawing (haven't seen it yet), so this is just a coincidence, but: I would like to take classes on how to paint. I'm not sure what material/paint type I am interested in yet (probably whatever seems to be the easiest to learn, as I harbor strong doubts of being capable!). I sometimes wonder if painting could be a healthy outlet for my more melancholy side, which could really use a healthy outlet at this point in life. It would also fit in well with my recent feelings of being tired of all-things-computer . In my current full time job, although it always feels satisfying to make progress on my reporting queries, yet, once my 8 hours is done I walk away from the computer secretly hoping I never see it again somehow!

It's funny you mention chess - I've played it casually all my life, but am absolutely horrible at it. However I have no interest in becoming better, although I do open the App on my phone once a year to play someone only to be reminded at how quickly I lose.

Fascinating that you want to learn Tagalog! Care to share more about what prompted this choice? I've known one person who spoke Tagalog but he was many years ago. I am currently in Mexico, in the far southern portion of Chihuahua state, with my wife's family as per our tradition. Glad to be able to speak Spanish, but need to improve my verb repertoire. These will probably be the only two languages I'll ever speak, as I owe it to my wife to be as capable as possible since she's the one who underwent the sacrifice of communication, culture & home to settle in my country

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:08
Woodworking! Organizing my shop now...

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:08
Woodworking! Organizing my shop now...
lucky dawg! I need more semi-outdoor-space, garage/shed type of stuff. maybe towards the end of this year we are hoping to move to a bigger home in a quieter, more far-flung suburb (queen creek)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
lucky dawg!
Lucky is right. I have a 10x15 shed that I attached a lean-to so I could move the lawn equipment to.

At about that time, an old Navy buddy called me because he retired and moved from Italy to Leeds(UK). A few years ago his wife, in an effort to force him into a hobby, bought him some woodworking equipment THAT HE NEVER USED.

They put it in long term storage when they got orders abroad which was free while he was on active duty. He retired and now they have to figure out what to do with their stuff.

He called me as asked if they could have their stuff shipped to me and in return I could keep the woodworking equipment.

Not a bad deal...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But then again, after today's mishap with my router, I may want to take on a skill that doesn't involve sharp, rotating objects...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time

Attachments

• 20230116_163134.jpg
    20230116_163134.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom