slang terminology from history (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 16:38
this came through the FF feed this morning. Any other older members got any other goodies? I'm obviously not old enough to remember these:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
Even though I was born in the late fifties, some of those terms were still being used (cooties for one). Of course many terms that are quickly fading, "taping a show", "don't change that dial" (referencing the TV dial). I can't think of any more at the moment. I am sure there are a lot.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
I remember #20 Zigzag, oh wait that was something completely different😲

1605802705254.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Zig-zag (as in, non-straight pattern of walking) is still in common use in the old South. Some of our roads in bayou country have to zig-zag around the softer soil near the swamps. You will hear the older, rural-dwelling Cajuns mention some old country road that zig-zags from Thibadaux to Chack Bay, or something like that.

Among school kids, "cooties" is still in use. My grandson, before puberty but after he had been in school for a while, was discussing a friend at school. He revealed that his friend was a girl but she was not in the more formal "girlfriend" status, just a friend who happened to be female. We asked if he was close to her and his answer was "No, I'm keeping away from the girl-cooties." This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago tops.

neuroman9999

Local time
"No, I'm keeping away from the girl-cooties."

ummmm....i've not heard that in a long time. I doubt it's used anymore. they're too distracted with devices.

Growing up in Southern CA Zig-Zag had another meaning altogether.

LOL.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The "girl cooties" reference has been used in my presence by my grandson within the last few years. However, you are right that kids (including the #2 grandson) are more distracted by devices. And that's #2 in age order, just to be clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom