Slow Access via LAN and windows 10 (2 Viewers)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:15
I made compact the client mdb and I put it in 3 pc
On my pc I see again 58 records per 10 seconds
on 2 other pc's 100 records per 10 seconds
Maybe there is a hardware problem with my pc network?
Try a different port.
Try a different cable.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You might have an IP clash or some other network storm etc. or all manner of other things going on, but 100 records in 10 seconds is appalling performance on a local network.

I can get 1000+ records from a cloud based Azure SQL server in under 2 seconds, with an Access front end.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:15
I'm with Minty on this. Your speed of essentially 10 records per second for a local disk DB is, to put it simply, bad.

I'm thinking that you might be manually forcing a requery too often for the child forms. If you navigate the main form, all of the child tables should automatically requery once anyway. If you force a requery of the main form, that requery method "trickles down" to the form's controls explicitly including subform controls. Forced manual requeries essentially double (or worse) your work.

vagman

Local time
Today, 09:15
Fot test I put another old disk with new installation of win10 and now I have 180 records per 10 seconds
So the problem is to windows installation or drivers .....
I have to install windows 10 from beginning or to reset the old installation

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I am just going to put this out there, as initially I thought the chances of this happening again would be remote.
When I was working for a building society, we had a office in another town, away from their head office.
In this office we had about 5 PCs and our own server sitting next to one of the desks.

Despite that, the network was slow.
Turns out that the network guys (do not ask me how) had routed the traffic up to the head office and back down to our little network, so although the server was sitting next to my desk, we were not going directly to it?
So, has anyone been playing around with the network?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Fot test I put another old disk with new installation of win10 and now I have 180 records per 10 seconds
So the problem is to windows installation or drivers .....
I have to install windows 10 from beginning or to reset the old installation

That's still hopelessly slow. And I doubt anything to do with your windows installation, particularly if the speed is similar on other machines in your locale.

What timing results do you get if you ping your file server? if it's on your local network and it's over

vagman

Local time
I finally found what was causing the big delay
This form with 25000 records has 3 subforms (with 50000 records), one subform had data from a query which limited the data to dates after 2020
I removed this limitation from query
Now speed is 380 records per 10sec instead of 60 records per 10sec
Βut still in some pc's this speed differs
I don't know if this is a lan speed problem

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I finally found what was causing the big delay
This form with 25000 records has 3 subforms (with 50000 records), one subform had data from a query which limited the data to dates after 2020
I removed this limitation from query
Now speed is 380 records per 10sec instead of 60 records per 10sec
Βut still in some pc's this speed differs
I don't know if this is a lan speed problem

This report clarifies it tremendously. This is a table or form or query design problem. Are the data sources in the sub-forms sharing a relation with the data source of the main form? Do you have indexes on the fields in the sub-forum sources that are used to link them to the main form? Did you have an index on the date-based field that you were using to limit records?

As to why the speed differs, that COULD be differences in configuration of the virtual memory file and limits on physical memory - both of which are per-machine issues.

vagman

Local time
This report clarifies it tremendously. This is a table or form or query design problem. Are the data sources in the sub-forms sharing a relation with the data source of the main form? Do you have indexes on the fields in the sub-forum sources that are used to link them to the main form? Did you have an index on the date-based field that you were using to limit records?

As to why the speed differs, that COULD be differences in configuration of the virtual memory file and limits on physical memory - both of which are per-machine issues.
yes here is a relation with the data source of the main form
There is index only for the one of two fields connected (no for date)
I noticed that today the speed decreased again from 380 to 120 and when a tried the yesterday file from backup speed fixed again to 380

Another problem that remains is that when I open mdb for the first time and go to this form and want to go to the next records, access hangs up sometimes for 4-10 seconds and then works perfect
This happen with forms that have vb code on open
It is possible to update of vb newer version required ?

Attachments

• VB.JPG
    VB.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whoa! What does VB have to do with anything? Access uses something called VBA, (Visual Basic for Applications) which integrates easily to Access, Excel, Word, and a few other members of the MS Office family. When you get a new version of Access, you get the latest & greatest version of VBA along with it. But VB (without the A) is a different beast altogether.

Are you trying to control your data using VB? This is the first reference to VB that I've seen in this thread. VB (by itself) is no longer supported. If you are using the VB that is part of the .NET architecture or part of Visual Studio, then they are up to a higher version. Please clarify what you are using to drive your applications process.

vagman

Local time
Whoa! What does VB have to do with anything? Access uses something called VBA, (Visual Basic for Applications) which integrates easily to Access, Excel, Word, and a few other members of the MS Office family. When you get a new version of Access, you get the latest & greatest version of VBA along with it. But VB (without the A) is a different beast altogether.

Are you trying to control your data using VB? This is the first reference to VB that I've seen in this thread. VB (by itself) is no longer supported. If you are using the VB that is part of the .NET architecture or part of Visual Studio, then they are up to a higher version. Please clarify what you are using to drive your applications process.
some forms have VBA code and this window is from about menu
1699001212047.png

Now without filters and sort the forms work faster
The only problem is that sometimes (and the first time) I see slow opening

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I us the (code page)>>Help>>About, this is what I get:

VBA.png

This is what I see from my old version of Access.

VB v 6.3 is a deprecated product - but for standard Access, you should not be seeing THAT particular title. There is something wrong here that I don't understand, but I can say that your version information is totally NOT what I would have expected.

Are you using some kind of external Form-builder application? What version of Access do YOU have?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Curioser and curioser. VB and VBA ain't the same, so EITHER Microsoft is lazy about that labeling or there is a trick underway. Gasman, what version of Access (including bitness) are you using?

vagman

Local time
When I us the (code page)>>Help>>About, this is what I get:

View attachment 110768

This is what I see from my old version of Access.

VB v 6.3 is a deprecated product - but for standard Access, you should not be seeing THAT particular title. There is something wrong here that I don't understand, but I can say that your version information is totally NOT what I would have expected.

Are you using some kind of external Form-builder application? What version of Access do YOU have?
I have Access 2000 and 2003
Later versions are not comfortable to use

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Curioser and curioser. VB and VBA ain't the same, so EITHER Microsoft is lazy about that labeling or there is a trick underway. Gasman, what version of Access (including bitness) are you using?
2007 32bit

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
My guess, based on the fact that this is an "About" message, is someone neglected to update one part of it. The full version info in the bottom line is correct, though. That's what counts the most, I would think.

bhupender12a

Local time
Today, 11:45
But it raises the question: WHY did it work well over Win 7 and is suddenly slow on Win 10? I've heard of this happening with some of my own users, to be honest. (Note: MOST of the time users just migrate to Win 10 and the app performs the same as it did, including over a network, in Win 7. But I have heard of this type of slowness and was hoping someone knew the cause of it)

vagman

Local time
I put a new ssd disk and a new installation of win10 and the situation is terrible now
(I had windows 7 on server pc with tables mdb and other pc's had windows 10)
90% of the times that I click a form it takes 1 minute to open.
In the past we had a server with win xp or win2000 and clients with win xp or 2000 also and everything was fine and fast.
I don't know if the problem is with 64 bit of windows 10 and to try the 32bit
or if it is possible to put the mdb with tables in windows xp or 2000 or a newer version of windows server or something else operating system
(It is not possible to change access 2000 to newer)

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you convert the FE application to a new version of Access, with a copy of the data in a new Accdb on the network.
Then purely for test purposes connect the new front end to the new back end on one of the troublesome new machines and see what the performance is like.

I get better performance than that with a normal NAS box storing the BE on my home network.
In fact we get performance a awful lot better than you are reporting with a cloud based Azure SQL backend, so something is very wrong there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom