Slow performance (REALLY slow!) (1 Viewer)

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
My database performs incredibly slow, especially (but not only) in design mode. When I delete a text box from a form, it takes about 30 seconds. The db is compacted and I have a P4 2ghz 256k computer running XP pro.

There is User-level security on the db and I am accessing the db over a network. Nothing else is slow (including other network-based tasks).

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas for troubleshooting?

Carolyn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:08
I occasionally have problems with my network doing the same thing. Is your DB split? If so, I believe it is likely a problem on your server.

Carolyn

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:08
You can determine if it is a network problem by copying the db to your local hard drive and running it there.

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
Well, it doesn't solve everything, but I defragged the server the back end is on. Things are MUCH smoother. Maybe that was it. Thanks for the thoughts.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:08
shacket, as a systems administrator for a mid-scale enterprise-level server (not a Windows machine), I have come to appreciate defragmentation as a real benefit. Defragging should be a part of everyone's regular maintenance schedule.

Benefits of defragging:

1. On disks with a single application (such as a database as the only major thing on the disk), a defragged database causes the disk heads to move shorter distances. = faster seeks.

2. When creating or extending files, having free space also made contiguous makes it easier to allocate large extents of data quickly.

3. Even on disks with multiple applications, if the disk isn't nearly full, you STILL reduce the amount of effort involved in a disk seek.

4. If your file structure involves variable-length retrieval pointers, defragging allows larger chunks. This affects the number of times you need to refer to the retrieval area AND the amount of space taken up for retrieval overhead.

So take that defrag result to heart.

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
I have the exact same problem. Whenever I'm in disign mode for forms or reports (especially reports). Everytime I resize the page size, or making any small adjustment to the form, Access takes about 15-20 seconds to refresh.

My back end DB is on the same local drive. This happens with every single form i design, they are all slow whenever i try to change anything. I'm thinking this has something to do with my system setting. I took the same file over to another machine and I didn't have any problem.

But with my laptop (the one that is slow), every single report on any database i open in design mode brings my system to a crawl. I checked the CPU usage, and it's normal. I don't exactly know what the system is doing on that 20 seconds of waiting...

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

PS: defragmentation didn't help.

KenHigg

Local time
If the individual tables with all their records pull up relatively fast (one table at a time), I would say you may need to de-normalize, tweak the indexes, or simplify your forms...

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:08
Have you tried turning off Name Auto-Correct?
Tools>Options>General tab

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
If the individual tables with all their records pull up relatively fast (one table at a time), I would say you may need to de-normalize, tweak the indexes, or simplify your forms...

it's not the database, it's Access's setting. It's slow on ALL reports, with NO datasource even. I don't have any problem when I edit the reports on another computer (even if that computer links to the back end data file over a network).

Have you tried turning off Name Auto-Correct?
Tools>Options>General tab

I don't think that is the problem because my "Name Auto-Correct" setting is OFF to start with. I tried playing with this setting, didn't make a difference.

Also, it is not anti-virus related either, tried turning my AV off, no effects.

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2K3, didn't help. I'm tempting to go back to Office XP or 2K.:mad:

KenHigg

Local time
Did it just get bad or was it always slow on the one machine?

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
I think it's just this machine. (IBM Thinkpad X31). My desktop has the same Windows & Office version, and does not show this symptom.

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
1 GB Ram with 80 GB 5400 rpm HD. Not a hardware performance problem.

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
So it appears one or more other processes are interfering with the operation of MS Access. I started the computer in Safe Mode and tried opening reports in Design Mode and played around with it, everything works fine. Let's see if i can figure out what's causing the problem.

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
I figured out what the problem was!

So, for some reason, when I was in safemode, everything was working fine. Back in normal mode, I started disabling services - one by one... but the process was slow and painful. All of a sudden, I realized that everytime Access 'freezes', my network activity indicator goes up. So I ran a 'netstat' command from DOS and saw a long list of WAITING and TIMEOUT activities, and they all target one particular machine on my network. I didn't bother to try to understand why it chose that particular machine. Anyhow, I went and try to disable any "Microsoft Client/Server" services.

I disabled the "Workstation" service and it seemed to solve the problem. Windows describe this service as: "creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers." I have no idea why this particular process interferes with Access (particularly, in Design mode). Beats the living hell out of me.

I've looked around and there are people who have reported this particular problem, but did not find any solution to this. So there's my solution to my particular problem.:eek:

Edit: just want to add a note that stopping the "Workstation" service also stops the "Computer Browser" service, which means you can't access other computers on your network. Re-enable these services once you finish your work in Access. This is a pain, i know. I don't know why my computer has this particular problem. I'm thinking it must be some software I installed that changed the behavior of my network connection (I have VMWare installed, and I think it might be this guy).

Last edited:

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for posting your solution Apoll0,:)
This is just the sort of problem that it is hard to pin down!

Peter

apoll0

Registered User.
Local time
I have figured out a simpler solution to my problem...

My default printer was set to be a printer at work, so everytime I'm in report design page, Access would try to communicate with this network printer. This is what causes the network activity and 'freezes' in Access.

So what I do now is to set "Micrsoft Office Document Image Writer" as my default printer. This seems to solve the problem. I've also renabled my network services back to normal setting.

KenHigg

Local time
Bat17 said:
Thanks for posting your solution Apoll0,:)
This is just the sort of problem that it is hard to pin down!

Peter

Yes - Thanks for sharing the fix!

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks so much for that - changing my default printer to Microsoft Image Viewer did the trick - it was painfully slow before but its fine now.

BonnieMan

Local time
Today, 02:08
I have figured out a simpler solution to my problem...

My default printer was set to be a printer at work, so everytime I'm in report design page, Access would try to communicate with this network printer. This is what causes the network activity and 'freezes' in Access.

So what I do now is to set "Micrsoft Office Document Image Writer" as my default printer. This seems to solve the problem. I've also renabled my network services back to normal setting.

Just registered so I could say many thanks for sharing this solution

I suddenly had this problem and it killed my productivity because there would be a 20 second delay after every other simple change to a report - I had already tried most of the other solutions offered but changing my default printer to Image Writer did the trick. I don't know what has changed with the network printer that was previously the default for it to suddenly kill Access in this manner but at least I know the cause and more importantly can work properly again. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom